1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Baseball HOF ballot released

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Nov 24, 2014.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24837121/baseball-hall-of-fame-ballot-revealed

This has the potential to be a large class of player inductees. I'd be surprised if Biggio doesn't get in this time. Randy Johnson is a shoo-in. I think the case for Smoltz is very strong and so is the one for Pedro, though I have my doubts that either will get in on their first ballot.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If Pedro doesn't make it on the first ballot, I'll be shocked.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

ALL OF THEM!!

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'd put Johnson, Smoltz and Martinez in on the first ballot.

I agree Biggio should go in this year.

I think it will be anybody's guess when the others go in.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Interesting comparison to make between him and Sandy Koufax.

6. sportbook

sportbook Member

I've got to think Guardado gets in first ballot.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

He didn't win popularity contests but there's little question Sheffield was a HOF-caliber player.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Numbers say yes (BR's similarity scores match him with seven HOFers, two future HOFers and Fred McGriff), but the Mitchell Report will keep him out (for now), despite his vociferous denials.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He is going to be left off a lot of ballots cause of the steroid use.

He is really interesting to me, too, though. He literally (using the word correctly?) hit the ball as hard, or harder, than anyone I have ever seen. It looked like he was trying to really knock the cover off it. And his numbers, for those who go blindly by a statistical line, are great.

However, there was also a reason he played for so many teams. And it wasn't just a popularity thing. When he was unhappy, supposedly, he made everyone else around him unhappy. Amazingly, people became racists whenever he came into their lives. And the worst to me, is that he also all-but-admitted to purposely playing poorly in Milwaukee and faking injuries, before being sent to San Diego.

I liked him as a player. When he was actually trying (which was most if the time), I thought he was a really valuable player to have around. But I am not sure what I would do with him if I could vote.

10. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I don't remember Delgago being linked to steroid use, but does he have any chance of eventually getting in?

If he was truly clean, his numbers seem worthy.

12. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

I have to say no for Delgado.

He hit a lot of homeruns, and he was very consistent. But that's it.. he didn't hit for much average. He wasn't a good fielder. He couldn't run.

All he has is the homeruns, and as a 1B he had a lot of company. There was Bagwell, Thomas, McGwire, Palmerio, - plenty of 1B who could hit HR like Delgado, and many of them were able to do other things like hit for BA, field, run, etc.

Compare him to Fred McGriff - if McGriff cannot make it, why should Delgado? McGriff finished with 493, and he would have gotten way over 500 if not for the strike.

Draft saved Draft deleted