1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Cup thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't think it's that bad. It could be a lot worse. I hope with Klinsmann in charge, we can figure out Ghana this go around, and hopefully our guys will be up for it. We've had a good year under him. Hopefully he will bring some insight on Germany. Insider information is good. Portugal is beatable.

There is no way we can make it through unscathed, but I think we can make it through if our guys play.

I think England/Italy/Uruguay is a tougher group. Whose dick did Argentina suck to get their draw?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

i think we were the underdog in 1941, but look how that turned out

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

As for friendly prep matches, I'd aim for Ivory Coast (if that's even possible) to try to get a feel for Africa (we'll end up with something irrelevant like South Africa or Egypt though). Poland or Netherlands to prepare for Germany and roll the dice and see if Spain or Brazil want to do business.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No way I'm buying this. Know a coach from Germany, and while he loves living and working in the States, I somehow don't see him quaking in his adidas Sambas because the U.S. is in their pool.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Can't they find a more equitable way to determine the matchups?

No wonder people accuse FIFA of accepting bribes and fixing matches.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sam, I think in context that statement was that Portugal, the US and Ghana are all teams with the possibility of pulling an upset over Germany, meaning it was one of the top seeds without a certified patsy in its group.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Do it by rankings.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Things in our favor
    -- No South American team in our group. Our travel is tied for worst of any team, but there's no home-field advantage for anyone in the group so its a crap shoot in that regard. Traveling to Manaus is going to be as much a pain in the ass for Portugal as it is for us. Playing in South America is historically a problem for European teams.
    -- Ghana is average. They're an aging team that is only fearsome to us because of past history.
    -- Portugal isn't much more than a one-man team. Past Cristiano Ronaldo, it dries up quickly. This ain't 2002 or 2006.
    -- Our goalkeeping, per usual, is world-class and deep. I'm comfortable with Tim Howard or Brad Guzan.

Things against us
    -- All three teams can score goals and we're mediocre to God awful keeping teams off the board. The Germans, who counter-attack in their sleep, are particularly worrisome, as our defensive reactions under duress leave a lot to be desired.
    -- Portugal might only have Cristiano Ronaldo, but he could single-handedly beat the U.S., as he basically did against Sweden in the UEFA playoff.

While I only listed two things against as opposed to four in our favor, that first one against is pretty glaring. If the American back line can't do better, the best case scenario is 1-1-1. To advance on goal difference, a 2-0 or more win over Ghana or Portugal might be needed.

It's going to be tough, but I'm embracing the challenge. After all, if this country ever wants to make a deep run in the WC, it has to deal with opponents of this quality anyway.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Things against us, soccer gods division
    -- We suck (fail to advance) in every other World Cup. We're due to suck.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hush. Please?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fortunately I won't miss any Germany matches because they play the U.S. in the third game where the group fixtures are simultaneous.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What's with all this travel whining Is the US traveling to Manaus by native canoe? Brazil's a big country, but so is our country, so I assume our athletes have some experience with long road trips.

Draft saved Draft deleted