1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 WNBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't know what it does for the sperm-donor market, but it definitely throws ice water on the 'family friendly ' concept.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What could be more family friendly than offering to help a couple start a family? :D

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If I pay $308 for a WNBA single-game ticket, I'm mentally unhinged or ...

Uh, mentally unhinged. :)

4. Starman

Well, sometimes families sitting in or near the "LGBT sections" were treated to blatant, exaggerated, graphic and inappropriate PDAs between same-sex couples (of a degree, duration and nature which would never be tolerated from hetero couples) and were informed (along with their children) what they could do if they didn't like it, a list which usually began with "get the fuck out of this section," a phenomenon which may have helped depress repeat business from the "family" crowd.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I knew it has a big following among lesbians. Are there a lot of gay men who are fans of the WNBA?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just confuse them by rubbing one out while watching,

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Starman, Boom, you're making this thread more entertaining than any WNBA game would be. Well done!

8. Starman

I wouldn't really know, although I guess a fair number adopted it more or less on principle.

9. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

This happened a lot. There were quite a few complaints about women making out, not kissing, but making out during games and it happened enough that some teams would go out of their way to seat certain groups on the other side of the arena as other groups.

It was a bigger issue that one might think since a lot of these teams were aggressively selling ticket packages to LBGT groups and elementary schools.

10. Starman

The conduct included extensive making out, including hands down pants and inside shirts for extended periods -- in other words, conduct which would never be tolerated from hetero couples.

Reportedly (nobody will ever confirm it on the record) most teams have seen sharp drop-offs in return attendance by school groups and youth-basketball organizations.

11. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Yeah, it's probably safe to say that story was never written, at least not in a newspaper, but it was definitely true.

When the ABL folded, I had a friend who worked for the local team who complained that those kind of issues did them no favors while trying to sell tickets to families.

The running joke was the list of complaints after most games...

Complaint: Family sitting in section 207 complained about the lesbian couple who didn't take their tongues out of each other's mouths or their hands off of each other throughout the entire game.

They would almost always offer those who complained free tickets to another game and about half the time, they wouldn't even take them.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Only 3 teams in the WNBA with winning records, they should cut the teams by half and make it an intramural, double elimination tourney. Season would last a month a best. Need to have tighter unis and better looking players

Draft saved Draft deleted