1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 Steelers Playoff Run Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 23, 2014.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Well, this was a short thread huh? Thanks for nothing Pittsburgh,

Sincerely,
    A Patriots fan

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yup. If I could edit thread I would mark "closed for business".
    Doubtful that Bell would have made a difference.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I disagree. One reason the Ravens had so much success defensively last night is they did not have to respect the run or the short pass. The Steelers didn't have the backs to burn them on that until Archer's late touchdown, which was called back, anyway.

I don't know that he would have been enough, but this was pretty much the same personnel on both sides from when the Steelers tore the Ravens apart two months ago. The primary difference was the absence of Bell and what he does shows up in places other than his own statistics.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So a good run game does set up the pass huh? ;)

I think biggest difference in game was The Ravens having a rested Haloti Ngata in the middle.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Joe Flacco. Still not elite.

6. outofplace

No, he really isn't. He had a fumble the Steelers failed to recover and an interception that they dropped. He gave Pittsburgh chances even though the Steelers had an inconsistent pass rush and terrible coverage. Flacco is still as erratic as ever.

7. Songbird

Because it's Flacco's fault the Steelers' pass rush was inconsistent. No credit to the Ravens' line for having a hand in that.

And that beautifully executed roll-out and zinger to Gilmore Crockett that made it 30-15 -- to put it away -- in reality was a case of Stumpy McGee getting lucky.

18-29-259-2-0 on the road is pedestrian. 5 straight playoff wins with a 100+ rating lacks that certain something.

Good thing they had Forsett's 36 yards to fall back on.

8. Songbird

A real stinker.

9. outofplace

Xan, I'm not saying he didn't play great in that game. He did.. But no, he's not elite. And those numbers don't reflect the two huge mistakes the Steelers let him get away with through their own sloppy play. Those are part of the deal with Flacco, too.

The play to Crocket was beautifully executed, but it was a better play call. Worilds still hasn't learned to stop biting so hard on play fakes away from him and the Ravens took advantage of that for two huge plays last night, that one and a long completion near midfield to Daniels.

There is a great deal of territory between stinker and elite. Flacco is neither, but certainly closer to the good end of things.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Steelers picked a bad night to play a bad game. Their offense is loaded for the next 3-4 seasons. If they can get the defense set in the next draft, this is going to be a hell of a team. Who are the best teams in the AFC in two years? Ravens, Steelers, Colts and Patriots, and I think Pittsburgh will be a notch above all of them with Bell, Brown and Roethlisbeger. It was a shitty night last night, but this can be a very, very good team if they can get the defense figured out.

Flacco is better than Dalton, but not as good as Brady, Rodgers and a few others. But he is good enough to win a Super Bowl with, and he was lights out during that run.

Draft saved Draft deleted