1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 Steelers Playoff Run Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 23, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

A sloppy field might not be that bad for a lot of Roethlisberger to Antonio Brown. Defensive backs generally have it tougher reacting to a receiver's move than a receiver has making the first move.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Might make it harder for Brown to plant his feet on a good kick to the punter's face, though.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That is a point with which I cannot argue.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Possibly, but I would think a slower track overall favors the more physical Ravens, especially with the Steelers lacking a viable running threat. Even the primary replacement, Josh Harris, relies more on speed as a runner.

5. If the Steelers win Saturday night they make it at least as far as AFC Championship game.

I have ZERO faith in Manning's arm right now. Those ducks he was heaving against Cincy - as well his overall play the last month - lead me to think there's some alarming issues there.

The Patriots ... I just don't think they are the Juggernaut some think they are. The O-line isn't
    that good. And the defense is average. Don't get me wrong they are good. But not unbeatable. They are no strangers to winning close games or coming from behind. Again, a very good team.
    But I think the can be outscored. By the Steelers.

Seattle is the cream of the crop. Great defense and beast mode.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  6. outofplace

They would still have to handle the Broncos' passing game with that very mediocre defense and no guarantee that Bell returns next week. Of course, even scarier for the Steelerse is that Troy Polamalu is apparently healthy and practicing with the first team defense. One reason for the defense's improvement the last few weeks was not having Polamalu blowing so many assignments.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Neither the Broncos nor the Patriots are a good matchup for the Steelers. But Brown is the most dynamic player in the AFC and football savant Rapistberger is playing at the highest level of his career. That gives them a puncher's chance against anyone.

8. I'll be stunned if Polamalu starts another game this year. The defense is better with he and Taylor on the sidelines. Tomlin knows it. He said as much earlier this week. I'ts getting better. But they can't pressure the QB they have no shot of stopping anyone.

Why aren't the Broncos or Patriots good matchup for the Steelers? I think the Steelers as just as good an opponent for those two as anyone else.
    No, they aren't the Bills or Chiefs (great DLs and pass rush) but the Steelers have an offense that can outscore anyone in the NFL (with Bell). It ain't like the Broncos or the Pats are especially stout on defense.
    Like the Broncos and Pats, the Steelers also have a great TE, the best WR in the league, Bell and a HOF QB. And oh yeah Martavis Bryant. No one else has that combo at that level. No. One.

As I disagree with Roethlisberger. He had a couple of great games, but also some real shitgaggers (see the Jets). Statistically, this may be his best year, on-the-field-performance-wise he's been better. In a lot of games this year he has not been real sharp and more often uneven.

9. outofplace

By disagree, you mean with the idea that Roethlisberger is playing at the highest level of his career? I agree that he has been inconsistent this year. The last two losses were clear examples of that. His numbers against the Saints don't look bad, but most of that was garbage time. His lousy performance combined with that of the defense were the reasons the Saints had the Steelers blown out before those last two touchdowns. That said, he has always been inconsistent. The highs have been higher this year and the lows have come a little less often. I think he has gotten better at making plays when things don't break down than he was in the past.

If you want to say this is simply the best offense he has had around him, I'd buy that. He has never had a back as complete and consistent as Bell and Brown has raised his game to an amazing level. Throw in Miller and the inconsistency from the other receivers hasn't been as much of an issue as it could have been.

Regarding Polamalu, I hope you are right, but he has been practicing with the first team this week. That makes me think his role is going to be larger than it should be Saturday night.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Likening what I see so far

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What a pick up Bryant has been. The Jets should be so lucky with the WR draft picks

12. Mr. Sunshine

Someone needs to tell Dri Archer you'really supposed to run AWAY from the defender.

Draft saved Draft deleted