1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 Ryder Cup Captain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

How freaking cool would this be if Ol Tom gets it?

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/8738085/tom-watson-likely-choice-captain-2014-united-states-ryder-cup-team

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

In keeping with the tradition of senior citizens and early-bird dinners, the first thing he's going to do is push for a 4 o'clock start for the players' gala early in the week.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Finally, the PGA of America breaks a tired old model for selecting captains that clearly wasn't working (mid to late 40s, no repeat captains). Watson is the last U.S. captain to win a Ryder Cup in Europe. Since he's revered in Scotland and England (five British Open titles), there will be some cordiality involved outside the ropes. He's a no-BS type.

Love the move. Absolutely love it.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wasn't Watson the captain once before? I'm thinking 1993, but too lazy to look it up.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I always feel like I should care more for the Ryder Cup than I actually do. Not sure why.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

1993, Watson the captain, US wins 15-13. Last time the US won in Europe.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Finally, the PGA does something other than look out for the bottom line. Love, love, love the move.

Draft saved Draft deleted