1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NFL draft thread (no longer too early)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: (Way too early) 2014 NFL draft thread

That's the comparison I've heard as well. I read one thing that called him a cross between Wilson and Drew Brees. I don't think Manziel has anything close to the arm Brees has. I think Manziel is going to be taken higher than he should probably go, but he's going to benefit from:
    a. Wilson's success
    b. a couple of the top QBs going back to school
    c. star power

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Since none of the QBs likely to enter the 2014 draft appear to be a QB who won't need much coaching up at the NFL level, are there certain teams that would be a better fit for those QBs based on who the coaches are or will be?

For example, somebody mentioned Cleveland as a possible landing spot for Johnny Manziel. Does that make sense based on what people have observed about how Rob Chudzinski and Norv Turner coach up QBs?

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Teddy Bridgewater can be successful anywhere. If Teddy Bridgewater was forced to play football on Venus, where temperatures reach 876 degrees and the atmosphere is made up of sulfuric acid, and Romeo Crennel was his coach, he'd be successful.

4. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, a rookie QB could do a lot worse than getting to learn from Norv.

Scelfo, the QB coach in Jacksonville, has coached a lot of good QBs. I think he coached Nick Foles at Arizona and some guys who became high picks at Tulane.

5. Mizzougrad96

Since I'm assuming he winds up in Houston, it will be interesting to see who they hire as a coach.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Paul Crewe, Paul Blake, Lance Harbor, Cap Rooney, Willie Beamon, Joe Kane, Shane Falco. Them's quarterback names.

7. Mizzougrad96

My son's kindergarten class has two Peytons, two Drews, two Aarons, one Brett, one Brady and one Teddy.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

When I was in high school, our longtime county rival had a QB named Joe Kane. He sucked, though.

9. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Do you ever write anything intelligent? Or worth reading? Jesus.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yep, Tebow won the Heisman because he threw jump passes from 3 yds out and could run a 2 yd QB keeper; Manziel won because he beat the No. 1 team on the road as a freshman throwing deep balls and running 15 yd springs; yeah same guy.

I think Manziel will do very well in the NFL, he throws well from the pocket and on the run. Look Montana is/was not the brightest light bulb.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't know, outside of their skill sets, size, playing styles and personalities, they have a few things in common.

12. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I think a better Manziel comparison is Eric Crouch - both super talented, yet absurdly arrogant.

Draft saved Draft deleted