1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NCAA Tournament thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery Meat II, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Re: 2014 NCAA Selection Sunday thread

That was my problem, MG. I understand your argument, but picking on one particular school and one particular region was an issue here. I won't apologize for that now or ever. There's no point in putting sub-regionals and regionals in places where no one will travel and buy tickets. But they want to go to your corner of the world, and they want to come to my corner of the world. It's not the sales job it would be in some area with sparse population and minimal interest in the game. For all the NCAA's faults, it shouldn't apologize for putting sub-regionals, regionals and Final Fours in area that are interested in the game and who will buy tickets and support the events.

The pod system is not only about making money, but also about minimizing travel. Without question, some schools are going to have to travel. A perfect arrangement where every school is seeded perfectly with nonexistent travel isn't happening. Keep in mind it's also put out there to supposedly minimize missed class time by the NCAA's "student-athletes." If you've staffed tournaments, then you know how that term will get run into the ground the next three weeks.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Actually, I'll apologize. I read it "in other words, No. 1 seeds," which isn't even close to correct. Now, that won't be the Final Four, but I read you post wrong.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Guilty as charged. Although I do think the players not only should be able to get shoe money and stipends, plus bonuses based upon how far they go in the tourney, based upon attendance and TV payments. The women can get the same deal, but it'll be less because of their games draw a smaller audience.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Fuck March Madness with every dick in America.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Damn this 30 for 30 is just outstanding.

Back to your brackets.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nah, they started the "pud" thing because they were tired of first-round games on teevee with 10,000 empty seats.

7. MileHigh

First-round tip times and announcers.

http://networkedblogs.com/USTwS

8. MileHigh

Expect 10,000 empty seats in Spokane on Thursday.

Early doubleheader:
    Cincinnati-Harvard
    Michigan State-Delaware

Late doubleheader:
    Oklahoma-North Dakota State
    San Diego State-New Mexico State

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pierce did a pretty nice job on Requiem for the Big East. A few biting lines too.

10. MileHigh

That entire 120 minutes was great. And resolidified how I grew up with the Big East on ESPN and the team(s) I pulled for/loathed. And Pierce was great on it. And of course he kicked a$$ on WWDTM this weekend.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I guess they really couldn't make a 1 seed potentially play Gonzaga in their city (even if they're not the host and it's not their building), but that's about the only way they could have gotten a strong crowd there.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I saw that Spokane pod and thought WTF but there's nothing they can really do with bracket because there's no top 3 seed in the West outside of Arizona.

Draft saved Draft deleted