1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NBA Coaching Carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 22, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What you're hearing is correct, but I think there's an equal chance that management consists of meddling owners who think they're playing fantasy basketball, nepotism (Lacob's son has far too much influence), and a GM in Bob Myers who is a former agent and one of those names that ascends in NBA circles just because he's a guy to know.

I don't know if that is the case. I do know that from the outside, it's as reasonable an interpretation as one that says it was Jackson's inability to work and play well with others that caused the rift.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's the biggest problem for whoever takes over in LA. The team is a candidate for Extreme NBA Makeovers, but will likely do whatever Kobe wants instead. That, and I don't think you can do a major rebuilding project in LA and keep the fans happy, especially with the Clippers on the rise.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I doubt Kobe has much say at this point. He has no leverage, and they have no reason to worry about whether he's happy. He's a salary cap albatross for two years, totally untradeable and done when the contract ends.

I could be wrong, but if I'm the Lakers, Kobe's input means nothing to me now.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You'll see Mark Jackson back on TV next year with his mentor in good-coach-who-wears-out-his-welcome-in-a-hurry, Doug Collins.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well call me Nostra-fuckin-domus.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/05/mark-jackson-unlikely-to-rejoin-espn-this-year-but-net-open-to-return/

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami 1h
    Mark Jackson knew this was coming, or probably was coming. To me before Game 6: "You want a good view for the end of the run."

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Why? Record-wise, the Warriors did better with Jackson than with any of the half dozen guys before him.

I still think there's a chance Doc Rivers winds up with the Lakers.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I saw reports that said Jackson was lazy and unprepared. I wonder if the fired assistant coach was taping conversations because Jackson was forcing his beliefs on people who didn't want to hear it.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Great term to use with a black coach when you want to get rid of him, "lazy." Same was done with Al Skinner at Boston College.

Reminds me of a plantation society, where only the white folk are "scrappy" and "hard-working."

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ugh.

I have no idea if Mark Jackson was "lazy", but what if he was? Stereotypes suck, but sometimes African-American guys are lazy, and white guys are scrappy.

The key is to not default to stereotypes without any evidence.

Now, granted, Pancamo didn't present any evidence, but if there are "reports" out there saying such, it's worthy of discussion, and hopefully the reports give some examples.

Either way, it was clearly dysfunctional. When one assistant doesn't talk to you, and another is taping you, something is wrong. You have to be curious about what is on tape, and if they'll ever see the light of day.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a lifelong Ws fan, I thank MJax for coaching the Ws to back to back playoff appearances and for actually caring and playing D. That was something that was sorely missed around here for the past 20 years. He also got his players to play hard for him and apparently had not tuned him out (although there's a vague rumour circulating that the players were not as universal in their support as appeared in print)

From the stands, it looked like his game end offense was too predictable and ineffective (post up Barnes, the 6-7th best offensive option); especially when you had a 1st (or 2nd) team ALL-NBA player standing in the corner.

The criticism of Lacob as a "fantasy sports" owner may be legit but he's made (or presided over) the following decisions:

1. Hired MJax;
    2. Trade small Monta for big, legitimate center, Bogut (key to last year's playoff run);
    3. Hired GM Myers who has done well;
    4. Laid plans to move the W's over to SF

Lacob has transformed the Ws from a franchise that players avoided to one that is a destination point. He's shown himself to be a bright strategist and I have faith in him making the right decision.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm just curious as to why a white coach has never been called lazy, that's all. (And no, I'm not trying to get the thread locked, it's a legit question, though.)

Draft saved Draft deleted