1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 Emmy Nominations and Comments

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printit, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Agree with your choices, but I would pull for Mayim Bialik for Big Bang Theory. She's added a lot to an already great show. (Even though I'm a fan of Julie Bowen too). And though Modern Family will probably win, Big Bang Theory is better. I think Modern Family stopped being that funny sometime in the third season. The characters became caricatures of themselves.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sepinwall largely trashes the nominations, making many of the same points we've made here:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/emmys-2014-too-many-great-shows-not-enough-spots-and-some-dumb-choices

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Americans were criminally screwed. From there, my picks:

Drama series: Breaking Bad, AMC. Although I'd rather see either House of Cards or Mad Men.

Comedy series: Veep, HBO.

Actor, drama series: Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad (AMC). Again, not my cup of tea; I think Spacey has been fabulous.

Actress, drama series: Lizzy Caplan, Masters of Sex (Showtime).

Actor, comedy series: Louis C.K., Louie (FX).

Actress, comedy series: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (HBO). An absolute lock.

Supporting actor, drama series: Josh Charles, The Good Wife (CBS). Shocking storyline helps.

Supporting actress, drama series: Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad (AMC).

Supporting actor, comedy series: Andre Braugher, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox). I'd prefer Tony Hale.

Supporting actress, comedy: Allison Janney, Mom (CBS). She's been outstanding, although I wouldn't hate to see Kate Mulgrew here.

Actor, miniseries or movie: Billy Bob Thornton, Fargo (FX).

Actress, miniseries or movie: Absolutely nothing there I can comment on except Wiig, and no.

Variety: The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, NBC.

Reality competition: Won't pick one.

Miniseries: Fargo, FX.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

While I think the lead actors (and many of the supporting ones) on House of Cards are fantastic, the show itself was pretty ho-hum story-wise this year. Deserved the love for Season 1, but got nominations based on inertia this time around.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I love Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but I think it's going to be like Parks and Rec (maybe not quite as good) in that it will take 2-3 years for people to appreciate it. Parks and Rec is one of my favorite shows.

Silicon Valley is a pretty damn good show.

6. jr/shotglass

With you on Silicon Valley, although the season finale struck me as very predictable and disappointing.

7. RecoveringJournalist

The thing with the Emmys is that it's hard to know when they're going to decide, "Oh this person has won enough, let's give it to someone else." I get the sense that they will continue to reward Parsons as long as he keeps being nominated.

8. jr/shotglass

I feel that Parsons' character has lost its edge as they've tried to make him grow. See Fonzarelli, Arthur.

He had some "sincere" scenes this season that were cringe-worthy.

9. RecoveringJournalist

It was predictable. I still liked it though. I can't get enough of the billionaire with Aspergers. I know the show has been criticized for it, but that guy freaking cracks me up.

10. RecoveringJournalist

Agreed, but they want to milk the show for all it's worth and it kind of makes sense to do that to keep the relationship with Bialik interesting.

I'll be curious how long the show goes. I've heard interviews with Simon Helberg where he essentially said, "We realize what this is and none of us are stupid enough to take that for granted."

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Shameless is a comedy?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Always disappointed to see a show/performer that has no shot to win (and has won before) take a spot from a deserving nominee that took more risks, was fresher and could probably use the pub.

Draft saved Draft deleted