1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014’s Employment Boom Almost Entirely Due to the Expiration of Unemployment Benefits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 26, 2015.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm from the south and that's a thing here.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Starman, whom I quoted as posting, "I've never pounded the drums to cut off unemployment insurance for anybody."

If you never cut off unemployment, the benefits are indefinite.

Frankly, I'd like to see a sliding scale of benefits, where the most you get is in your first week, and then the amount declines by X percentage each succeeding week until it runs out. Likely would motivate some to not wait until the last moment before giving the job search their hardest effort.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Outing alert, TBF is Dan Rather.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Even at its peak, the benefits were for 99 weeks. Not indefinite.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tamp em up solid

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes. Because Starman is not deciding such things. They WOULD be indefinite if he had his way. That's what I was taking issue with.

There's really no need to bog this down in more hair-splitting.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Obviously, if cutting off unemployment benefits eliminates unemployment, the answer is to cut them off completely. Woohoo! Zero Unemployment!

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The rail brotherhoods -- the BLE or other -- would NEVER advise a union member to look for work, temporary or other, while awaiting a review. In fact, it's written into the rules most places that they can't. Know what you're talking about before you shoot off your mouth, Mr. Three Jobs.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well that escalated quickly.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

What is the point of that rule?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If you seek other work, that can be taken as evidence you intend(ed) to quit anyway.

And some review boards will dismiss your appeal if you get another job while the review process was in progress, even if your new job is dramatically inferior to your previous union position.

In one sense this is also for the company's protection; they don't want what starts out as a termination-for-cause or disciplinary process against an employee to turn into a bidding war.

Of course in many of these situations the worker may have a pretty good suspicion the decision isn't going to go his way anyway, so the smart person makes second- or third-person inquiries about other jobs while the review is in progress.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Because he was a new employee, he was not a member of the union and had no representation. Know what you're talking about before shooting off your trap, Mr. Big Mouth.

Draft saved Draft deleted