1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Tornado Season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 20, 2013.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Blitzer interviewed the guy from the video and never asked the one question I wanted to know ... what was going on with the van that bounced past about halfway through the video? Was that another storm chaser or just a driver trying to get the F out of Dodge?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've been wondering that too.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

One of the guys from the show Storm Chasers, his son and a crew member were killed in the El Reno tornado on Friday.

http://www.examiner.com/article/discovery-channel-s-storm-chaser-tim-samaras-killed-el-reno-tornado

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I just came here to post that. What sad news. I liked watching the show. He seemed like one of the more down to earth guys on there and truly was doing it for the love/science/research. He never seemed like he wanted to take the overly huge risks, at least as not as much as some of the others being shown, and took safety seriously. Just goes to show even the best in that business who know the most about what they are doing take a huge risk.

5. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

It's really sad about Samaras, he seemed like one of the few trying to do this to help out science. I'm honestly surprised we don't hear about more deaths like this with the number of idiots out there trying to get famous.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Joplin was in the line of fire but the storms in southwest MO didn't develop until they were well past. I was listening to the radio on my drive home from work when a tornado warning was issued for a portion of Barry County, which is southeast of the general area, at about 1:15 a.m. Saturday morning.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Baseball sized hail and wind gusts of 70+ possible here tonight.

Things are fixing to get fucked.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

No warnings out now, but Southern Oklahoma is under a severe thunderstorm watch. Again. And there is a pretty strong squall line racing south. Could be a serious straight-line wind event.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

From the National Weather Service:
    A VERY HIGH DEGREE OF
    ATMOSPHERIC INSTABILITY AND MOISTURE...COMBINED WITH MODERATE DEEP
    ATMOSPHERIC WIND SHEAR WILL SUPPORT SUPERCELL STORMS CAPABLE OF VERY
    LARGE HAIL TO TENNIS BALLS OR PERHAPS LARGER...
    DAMAGING WIND GUSTS
    IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH...AND EVEN AN ISOLATED TORNADO.

Mother Nature is a dirty ho bag.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Friday's tornado in El Reno was the widest ever measured.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57587611/deadly-oklahoma-tornado-was-widest-on-record/

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Wind gusts of 295.

Incredible.

Draft saved Draft deleted