1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013: The NHL season that almost wasn't

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

NHL officially ratifies the CBA. NHLPA to vote tomorrow I think. Bettman apologizes to fans.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413131

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

And Bettman's apology is no more sincere than Peter Karmanos' was in Raleigh.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=649402&navid=DL|CAR|home

Dixiehack will never believe I'm agreeing with him, but I need to see something serious to be drawn back in. This was ignorance and arrogance at its absolute worst.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Didn't think I was that obstinate.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sam, it is a 3 billion dollar business. There have been 4 lockouts in the last 2 years if you include the NFL's lockout of the officials, it is just a part of sports theses days. If you like hockey why would you not return? I couldn’t have cared less if they had come back or not, but since they did I can see no reason why not to watch it.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

:D

Wasn't talking about you ... THIS time. ;D

JC, the NHL has done more to abuse goodwill than any other major professional league and it's not even close. Already the only league to lose an entire season due to this crap, and now this? The NFL wasn't smart, but came to its senses in time not to lose any part of a season that actually counted.

The NBA? Not a fan at all, and I enjoy basketball as much as anyone alive.

Neither league nor MLB has done as much to abuse fan goodwill as the NHL. Of course it's a business - denying that is foolish - but again, the arrogance of Bettman and the owners, especially the ones behind this crap, is almost incomprehensible.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I agree with all of that Sam, every word but why would I not watch something I enjoy. I don't take what they did personally and I'm not sure why fans do. Them being locked out did not affect my life or one bit other than taking a hobby away from me.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm with both of you on this--I didn't actually care if they came back.

Now that they're back, can't wait to watch the Leafs and Habs on Jan 19

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I will give the regular NHL season the same treatment I always do. They have my divided attention between the Super Bowl and the start of the NCAA basketball tournament.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Think about this: what Rogers employee has been front and centre the last two months as GM of the Blue Jays? Anthopolous is humble, cooperative with the media and really seems to care about the team and the city he is operating in. In other words, perfect for the brand.

Tell me some of those corporate weasels haven't watched how he has performed while revamping the Jays over the last few months and thought, "We need a guy like that, NOT a guy like Brian Burke."

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Surprised on the timing of the Leafs firing Brian Burke.

I, too, am struggling to work up much enthusiasm. Maybe it will come as time passes.

As for predictions, the NHL is less predictable than any other major league --- witness the Kings winning the Stanley Cup last spring. I think the Kings are legit and will win their division, but it's too darn hard to repeat, too many pieces have to fall into place.

I'm torn between the Penguins offence and Rangers defence in the East.

I'll go with Pittsburgh over Chicago in the Final. Or Finals, as some will say.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Big shot in the dark on my end, more curiosity than anything, has anyone seen or heard how Wade Redden has played the last couple of years in the AHL. I know there is no chance of him ever seeing the light of day again with the Rangers, but if Sheldon Souray can get a second shot in the NHL, would there be any interest in Redden after the Rangers buy him out following the season?

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Our own Elliotte Friedman weighs in on the Burke firing: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/01/brian-burke-firing-was-personal.html

Draft saved Draft deleted