1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013: The NHL season that almost wasn't

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Jan 9, 2013.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Beef, I don't think Vancouver is going to get much in the way of assets for Luongo. Not with his contract.

I find this Burke firing weird. Why would the Big Brains at MLSE wait until now?

They've had close to ten months to do this.

wonder if there's any one thing.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I assumed it had something to do with not trading for Luongo, but that's something I actually agreed with Burke on. If the asking price begins at Gardiner or Gunnarson and goes up from there with picks and prospects, it really doesn't make sense for them to trade for Luongo and his contract, especially for where they are as an organization. If they are that one piece from a cup, then do it. But they aren't, and will be even further away if they do make the trade. This is what happens when you let your fans run the team.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Vancouver has no neccesity to move Luongo until they have to, and some team will get desperate and pay their asking price. In the meantime, he's an insurance policy. If he's willing to be the good teammate until the right trade can be made, as he's said he's willing to do, then they can wait. Do I think they're asking too much? Absolutely. But you have to maximize your assets.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Tweet from Darren Dreger: "Timing of Burke dismissal very odd. He and all brass were at Marlies game last night in Hamilton. Truth will surface. Something fishy."

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Beef, the fans hardly run the Leafs. The back benchers at the Goose do. :)

If Vancouver thinks they're gonna get major players like Gardiner and high picks for Luongo they're crazy.

Luongo has kinda made it cleqr that he wants out. That doesn't help Vancouver, either. They'd be unloading a contract and their leverage disappears.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Burke is staying on as senior adviser. News conference on now.

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I imagine Nonis had a lot to do with that.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I don't disagree with you, just going off of reports of what they are looking for and what their gm has said. If they weren't asking for the moon he'd be gone by now. What will help them in moving him is in the new cba they will be able to eat about half his contract in a trade.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Burke should run for mayor of Toronto. :)

Only half kidding.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Beef, as much as the Leafs goaltending is questionable--on a good day--I'm not a big Luongo fan.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Hey, at least HE shows up for the Pride parade! :D

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My feelings too. Luongo is streaky and the pressure in TO wouldn't help that, IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted