1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Running Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jan 27, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

She's gonna take the fucking ball and shove it down the fucking throat of any fucking asshole that doesn't show her the deference due a cultural icon

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Nadal's had a great start to the season, once he got started, winning seven tournaments. Most of them were on clay, but he did win the two-week hard-court tournament at Indian Wells, a top-level tournament for sure. I think what's going to keep him from winning the Aussie or US Open will be the fact he's got to win three sets, not two. I'm not sure how much stress that knee can take in long matches where the points are much longer than on grass and clay.

3. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

I agree about the knee. He wouldn't answer when asked about it at the press conference, but I bet that knee still isn't fully healed.
    I'm beginning to wonder how many more years Nadal will play before he walks away. How much longer does the competitive fire burn before it is extinguished?

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

As hot and as famous and as rich as Sharapova is, I'm pretty certain she gets invited to all the cool parties she wants.
    Serena Williams has zero class. None.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, if I've got a choice between a party attended by Serena Williams and a party attended by Maria Sharapova, it's safe to say which party I'll be getting turned away at the door of.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

You need to look no further than Lleyton Hewitt, who I believe is 31 or 32. His ranking plummeted after undergoing five surgeries in four years and dealt with a nagging toe injury that kept him out of action for an extended stretch. He just beat Warwinka in straight sets today.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What Serena got caught doing is having the reporter quote Serena during a phone call to Venus. Did Serena know this would be picked up by the reporter and no longer private? Only she can answer but it was easily foolish.

Did Serena intend that her thoughts be published or that they be simply private between her and Venus?

I just caution let's not jump the gun and equate her conduct to directly telling the reporter her rip job on Maria.

8. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

Hewitt continues to surprise me. I figured he'd be gone, too. He isn't on the top tier anymore, but he never quits. I think he is still out there because not only does he love playing, but he loves the competition.
    I'm sure Nadal does, too, but the difference is he's been at the top for such a length of time that I wonder if, when the day arrives that he won't be the No. 1 in the world anymore, that he just might leave like Borg did.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think Nadal can still win majors if he's healthy. He's been to five Wimbledon finals and two US Open finals. He needs to back off the summer hard court series and maybe only play 1-2 tournaments before the US Open and let his knees feel fresh again.

Losing to Darcis, to me, was a blip on the radar and not a trend. It would not shock me at all if Federer finds a way to win the title yet again.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Federer's down 2 sets to 1 and 3-2 in the fourth.

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Fed loses... so much for that Fed-Nadal quarterfinal of death!

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

And the men's draw just became a lot less interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted