1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Oscars thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 4, 2013.

1. turski7

turski7 Member

I think it will be between Lincoln and Zero Dark Thirty for Best Picture and Director. Argo and Life of Pi in the mix for picture. Affleck and Ang Lee as darkhorses to Spielberg and Bieglow for director.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the Oscars have been decent to Tarantino... Basterds was nominated, Waltz won for supporting actor. Tarantino won for his screenplay for Pulp Fiction. I think even Forster was nominated for Jackie Brown... I agree Pulp should have beaten Gump and Travolta should have beaten Hanks, but it's not like his movies are being ignored...

3. It sounds like the most buzz out there is for Lincoln and Zero Dark Thirty with Silver Linings as a darkhorse to win best picture. The two best movies I've seen this year were Argo and Django. I loved Django and I would like to think it will get serious consideration but have a feeling it gets left out. I haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty yet but excited to check it out and I still want to see Life of Pi as well. Lincoln was good but while DDL absolutely deserves the best actor nod, that movie is not the best movie of the year. If The Hobbit gets a nom, the whole thing is a joke. Honestly, The Avengers is more deserving of a nom than The Hobbit.

4. Also, I'd give the Supporting Actor nod to Waltz in a heartbeat. Actually, you could make the case that he should be in the best actor category. In a cast full of great actors putting on great performances, Waltz stole the show once again, in my opinion.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I didn't think Waltz was all that great in Django. His performance in Inglorious Basterds was one of the greatest I've ever seen, but he was just OK in Django (or maybe IB just set the bar too high). Still, I thought Foxx and DiCaprio were far better.

I wouldn't be surprised if Arkin gets some love for Best Supporting Actor. He was awesome in Argo, and he's always a voter favorite.

And I keep hearing that Zero Dark Thirty is the best film of the year, though I agree with someone on another thread who said that voters' hand-wringing over the torture scenes might keep it from being named Best Picture. If that's the case, Silver Linings Playbook might sneak in and win.

6. Agree to disagree, I suppose. I just thought Waltz was hilarious in Django yet still sold me on the fact that despite his humorous notes he was still a pretty ruthless killer.

7. Mizzougrad96

I haven't seen Django, but most of the people I know who have, think DiCaprio should be nominated for best supporting actor. I read somewhere that Weinstein is pushing Waltz in the supporting category since everyone knows DDL is going to win for Lincoln.

8. Mizzougrad96

I don't think Lincoln should be nominated in the Best Picture category. I realize it will be... I've probably seen fewer movies this year than in any previous year since I've been an adult, but I think Lincoln at best is a B- or a C+ and that's from someone who usually loves those kind of movies...

I think Day-Lewis is great and will deserve to win if he does... I think Sally Field's performance was a bit over the top and Tommy Lee Jones is essentially playing Tommy Lee Jones...

9. Agree.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I agree that Les Mis is kind of a mess, but yes, the "I Dreamed A Dream" bit was pretty stunning, and she's worthy. No one will look back on that Oscar years from now and view it like the ones from Chicago, which were for good singing, not great acting, by blah actors.

11. Mizzougrad96

I haven't seen Silver Linings Playbook or Les Mis, but I would be ecstatic to see two of my favorite actresses both winning this year.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Worth pointing out that if DDL wins for Lincoln, he'll be the first guy with three Oscars for Best Actor.

Draft saved Draft deleted