1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 NFL draft running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 10, 2012.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Re: 2013 NFL draft/early entry running thread: Marcus Lattimore the first one in

I'm not sure I'd pick a quarterback in the first round this year.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: 2013 NFL draft/early entry running thread: Marcus Lattimore going pro

Somebody will draft the Honey Badger.

3. Mizzougrad96

Peter King had something a week or so ago where a scout said no QB this year deserved a first-round grade and that Barkley was the closest. I don't buy this Geno Smith stuff where some have him No. 1 overall.

If I'm the Chiefs, I go after Alex Smith and draft Lotulelei or someone else with the top pick.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Here's an updated list I got off some message board:

RB Marcus Lattimore (South Carolina)
    WR Keenan Allen (California)
    WR Da'Rick Rogers (Tennessee Tech/Tennessee)
    DT Sheldon Richardson (Missouri)
    OLB Brandon Jenkins (Florida State)
    CB Tyrann Mathieu (ex-LSU)

The list also had Notre Dame RB Cierre Wood, but I can't find a link for that. And anyway, I can't imagine he'd have told anyone outside his inner circle of his plans with the BCS title game still to be played.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The early projections on Cam Newton were mid-first round. Then he and Gabbert went top-10. Last year someone went gaga over Ryan Tannehill at the combine.

They can all say that now, but a team that needs a quarterback is never going to pass up a chance to take a quarterback. I say Barkley goes top-10 and at least one other QB is a first-round pick.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Including Peterson coming back quickly and having one of the best seasons ever by a running back. Not that Lattimore is anywhere near as good as Peterson, but it's still a helpful case for him.

7. Steak Snabler

Don't think so. He was a borderline draft prospect even before his dismissal and subsequent arrest. And with kickoffs on the verge of being phased out of the NFL, his special teams value is greatly diminished.

8. Steak Snabler

Good point. I'll add two words: Christian Ponder. He's having an OK year, but in no way has he justified being a first-round pick.

9. Mizzougrad96

Oh, I agree. I think Barkley and Smith will go in the first round, and who knows there are a couple who could make the draft interesting if they declared early. I just don't think anyone in this draft will rate as high as Tannehill, much less Luck or RG3.

It would have been interesting to see how far Tannehill would have fallen if his college coach hadn't convinced the Dolphins to draft him. To be fair, he's done pretty well...

10. Mizzougrad96

I thought I read he rated as a third-round prospect before his "issues"... We'll see...

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Honey Badger will be a Cowboy by the fifith round.

12. slc10

slc10 Member

No shock on Lattimore. He would have needed heavy therapy if he did otherwise. It will be interesting what happens on New Years Day. That's when Jarvis JOnes and Alec Ogletree from Georgia will probably announce. It could a day later but that is something that will be a foregone conclusion.

Draft saved Draft deleted