1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 NFL Coaching Carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 22, 2013.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This makes the Texans look a little heartless... Kubiak just recovered from a mini-stroke, for God's sake... but I understand it. this IS the NFL. Win now or you're out. And if you lose twice to the Jaguars... (shakes head)

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll be curious where he goes next. Maybe Shanahan will bring him to DC if he keeps his job.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was thinking the same way a few weeks ago. The Texans are one of the better run franchises, I don't think anyone can blame them for this.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As I said earlier in the thread (or maybe in another), once the Saints fired Jim Haslett after Katrina, all bets were off ...

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

As what?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The stroke probably saved Kubiak's job for a month. He would have been fired the day after that loss.

I've never understood how that would have any impact on the Texans' already-clear decision about his future.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Phillips is an excellent coordinator and has revived units at a few different stops.
    It's hard to evaluate his time in Dallas working for Jones, as it is with most coaches there.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Hell, he had a better record in Dallas than he did anywhere else. Three straight winning seasons before the 1-7 start got him fired in 2010.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Actually a very classy thing for the Texans to do.
    Instead of letting him twist in the wind for another meaningless three games they allow him to rest and address his health concerns while getting paid.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm really shocked that in a season where so many teams have been terrible disappointments, we got to December 6 before even one coach resigned or got fired.

The NHL didn't even get two weeks into the season before the first firing.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah. Eventually. Just not right now. Go be a good offensive coordinator for 2-3 years and people will take notice.

I don't think Phillips will --- or even wants to be --- permanent head coach. He's been there, done that. And even in Houston, where his dad was a legend and passed away just this year, I suspect Phillips knows it just ain't worth it. He's a pretty good defensive coach and one reason Houston jumped from one of the worst defenses in the NFL three years ago to one of the best.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Schaub is a former Pro Bowl player and still better than 1/2 to 1/3 of the current QBs in the league. I have no doubt he'll play somewhere, likely as a starter. Might not be in Houston.

The timing was somewhat ironic. Schaub gets hurt and by the time he's healthy, the team is in free-fall status and it makes sense to give Case Keenum a real long audition to see if he's your guy going forward (like Tampa did with Glennon). He's made some plays that show potential, but hasn't won a game. So has he shown enough to be your guy going to camp next summer? Or do you scrap the whole thing and go looking for a QB, either via free agency, trade or the draft?

Draft saved Draft deleted