1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 NBA Playoffs thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I've heard some "experts" out there wonder if the Nuggets are the new way to build a championship-type team in the NBA. That is with strong and talented depth and interchangeable parts and no real superstar. And that this year's playoffs could be an indicator if it will work. I don't know. It's just so easy for one player to dominate in basketball that I don't know if such a "star" formula will ever change.

That said, if any team can withstand injuries it appears to be the Nuggets. And Lawson looks to be back mostly full strength and I would imagine Faried will be at some point in this series. I think they have the makeup of a pretty deep run. Of course they've also only won two playoff series since their current playoff appearance streak started in 03 and both of those were in the same year.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I would be shocked if Denver loses to Golden State, especially with the way they play at home. I would be more shocked if they were able to knock off OKC (assuming they even get to the WCF). That's the series I most want to see, though. Those two teams are a blast to watch on their own, and even more fun when they're playing each other.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agree. A Denver-OKC WCF would be fun.

If the Nuggets beat Golden State, they get the Lakers or San Antonio. I like their chances.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

The only team I can't see Denver beating in the West is Oklahoma City.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I agree with Zach Lowe that the toughest series for OKC in the West would be Memphis. They can match up defensively with them and slow the game down. Conley will need to play at an even higher level than he has in the second half, and Randolph needs to play better than he has been for that to happen, though.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eastern Conference, first round

Miami over Milwaukee in 4 games
    Boston over New York in 6 games
    Indiana over Atlanta in 6 games
    Chicago over Brooklyn in 6 games

Semifinals
    Miami over Chicago in 5 games
    Indiana over Boston in 7 games

Finals
    Miami over Indiana in 6 games

Western Conference, first round
    San Antonio over L.A. Lakers in 5 games
    Oklahoma City over Houston in 4 games
    Denver over Golden State in 5 games
    L.A. Clippers over Memphis in 5 games

Semifinals
    San Antonio over Denver in 5 games
    Oklahoma City over L.A. Clippers in 6 games

Finals
    San Antonio over Oklahoma City in 5 games

NBA FINALS: Miami over San Antonio in 6 games

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Other than that really weird first-round series in 1990, when the Knicks came from 0-2 down to win three straight, including the decisive Game 5 at Boston Garden, when was the last time New York beat Boston in a playoff series? I'm thinking back to the 1970s and can't recall any.

Best one was 1984 when the home team won every game. Larry Bird was unstoppable in Game 7 and outdueled Bernard King and the Celtics eventually won the championship.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1973, Mark. Knicks won in seven, first time Boston lost a playoff series in a home game seven or at home period. Havlicek had a leg injury earlier in the series and by Game Seven could barely move.

9. MileHigh

Nice ole defense at the end by the Warriors against a team the scores tons in the paint. All that was missing was the red cape.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Had on the Warriors broadcast, and they mentioned if Bogut had drifted over - and he should have - it would have been an illegal defense? Either way, agreed on bad defense.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Nice having both my twins on my lap sleeping, so the Denver/GS game had me as sort of a captive audience and boy did Andre Miller put on a show. TV said he's never won a playoff series ... ever. WOW, didn't know that. He was mobbed by teammates at the end today and sounded genuinely down-to-Earth and humble in postgame interview. Good for him.

(Brooklyn's got a nice atmosphere going now, too, as they open with Chicago. Crowd is doing some European-style chants. Feels interesting)

12. MileHigh

Andre Miller is a cool cat -- and George Karl will say he's one of the top five players he's coached ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted