1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 NBA Playoffs thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The fun starts Saturday ... really wish Kobe was playing because he had a chance to steal a game or two by himself against the Spurs. Still, three of the West series ought to be really interesting. The Houston-OKC series could be played in the 120s.

The East ... meh, Brooklyn-Chicago will be fun. New York-Boston will be OK. The other two series, ugh.

Anyway, picks everyone?

EAST
    Miami over Milwaukee in 4
    Chicago over Brooklyn in 6
    Indiana over Atlanta in 5
    New York over Boston in 6

WEST
    Oklahoma City over Houston in 5
    L.A. Clippers over Memphis in 7
    San Antonio over L.A. Lakers in 5 (hey, Tracy McGrady might finally get to the second round ...)
    Golden State over Denver in 6

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'll go Denver over the Warriors in 5, Memphis over LAC in 7, and Brooklyn over Chicago in 6. I agree with your other picks.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Part of me wants Chicago to win just because I think the Bulls will be a tougher out for Miami than the Nets will be.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Wish I could be that optimistic about the Warriors, but Denver is one of those teams that's been flying under the radar all season.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Miami from the East.

OKC-Spurs will be a 7-game dogfight in the West finals.

Miami over Thunder in rematch. LeBron MVP.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Denver has not flown under the radar in the slightest for those who have been paying attention. No team that goes 37-3 at home is flying under the radar. Until the Gallo, Lawson, and Faried injuries, people were speculating about whether or not they could take down the Spurs and/or OKC for the West crown. Lawson is back, but Faried looks like he'll likely have lingering issues, and their ceiling now is probably making it to the WCF.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Denver is very good ... just seemed weird going with chalk all the way through the first round, and with a few key injuries down the stretch, I could see Steph Curry getting hot and stealing that series, that's all. Of the "upsets" that seems the most likely.

The entire Indiana-Atlanta series should be on NBAtv2.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

If Kobe was healthy I could see the Lakers maybe pulling off an upset. Spurs are reeling a bit and the last few years they've been the Patriots of the NBA, former champs who dominate regular season and then run into troubles in the playoffs. Plus, Lakers are actually 28-12 the last 40 games, a pretty decent clip for half a season. But...now I can see them winning maybe 1, possibly 2. Definitely a better matchup than OKC, who would have destroyed them either way, with or without Kobe.

Nuggets-Warriors will be a blast to watch because it will be like a series from 1985 as far as the pace. The East again is blech. Hopefully Celtics-Knicks is a good series though. But right now I don't see anyone beating Miami or OKC.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Exactly ... but as stated, have to be paying attention in this world where what LeBron and Kobe tweet passes for NBA coverage.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think the Nuggets are going to win the West. They're in the better half of the draw in that they don't get Oklahoma City until the West finals. It's been a magical season for them, despite the injuries. They're finally running like they should have for the past 40 years at altitude.

The East is one big snoozefest.

The Lakers might win one game, perhaps two.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Lakers went from +1200 to +700 to advance past the Spurs.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I-15 must have been real crowded this morning. And the round trips on Southwest to McCarran.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted