1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, those Chicago and LA teams would have to be division rivals.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

"Tradition" left MLB many years ago.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

absolutely.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

They tried to put in radical realignment 15-20 years ago, with the expansion that begat the D'backs and Rays, but it failed. IIRC, the Giants' Peter Macgowan balked at sharing an NL market with the A's.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Giants were on the shortlist to move to Tampa before an expansion franchise was awarded so they can be thankful they're still around. And it's a big market, so let the A's move to San Jose.

There's no need for two "leagues" with different rules in terms of the DH and where it's used, plus the unbalanced, nonsensical schedule. The stupid All-Star Game home-field advantage garbage.

Just make it the same rules for all 30 teams, align the schedules by divisions, best record gets home-field advantage.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

yup. fix it and quit fucking with it.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't know about "thankful," considering it was Magowan's purchase of the Giants that saved the team from being sold to Vince Naimoli's Tampa-St. Pete group in the first place. The Giants dominate the San Jose market, largely because of how well Magowan has run the team in the last 20 years. They have zero incentive to help the A's.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Shall we play alittle over/under for the season?

Home run leader: 45
    Starts by Strasburg: 21
    Starts by Verlander: 31
    Wins by the Blue Jays: 94
    Losses by the Cubs: 94
    Wins by the Nationals: 97
    Losses by the Astros: 97
    Wins by the Yankees: 82
    Strike out leading pitcher: 230
    Top batting average: .330
    Tops OPS: .999
    Most times struckout: 220
    Mangers fired mid-season: 6
    MLB regulars fail drug tests: 6

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I kind of want to do a massive, world-breaking parlay and take the under on all of them.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't think Philadelphia is bad. I think Philadelphia is pretty good.

I told my son the Braves fan to be prepared for plenty of games with 10+ runs. And plenty of games where the strike out a dozen or so times. Venters is going to see Dr. Andrews, so that's never good. The bullpen is still strong. When does Beachy return? Can the rotation hold up? Is Medlen for real?

He took an "over" bet on 94 wins, so he's pretty confident.

If the Nats don't win the division, I think the Braves will. Not ruling out Philadelphia.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Philadelphia's closer to New York than they are to Pittsburgh and are pretty big rivals with the Mets. They don't really have a rivalry with the Pirates. I'd keep Detroit in the Central.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Rangers are close to locking up Elvis Andrus for a decade.

In other news, Scott Boras just kicked his dog.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/elvis-andrus-texas-rangers-shortstop-new-contract-eight-years-120-million-dollars-033113

Draft saved Draft deleted