1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Mar 30, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I put the Pence deal squarely in the category of "not my money, so I don't care." This is the reward of the Zito deal ending and Lincecum's salary coming off the books. (The Giants are talking to Lincecum but it won't be for anything close to the $20M-plus he has been getting.) The one underrated part of the Pence deal is how well he plays right field in that park, which is not easy and is tremendously important.

He is also a reasonable power hitter in a park that doesn't yield much power. Even before the surge, he was headed for a 20-HR season. That's a good accomplishment for the Giants.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

With baseball, it really doesn't matter because it's not the color of the uniform, it is the motion of the play. Even if a team had an intra-squad game and wore the same uniforms, the position and movement of the players would allow you to determine which team was which.

4. LongTimeListener

Appears the Rays want that spot -- 6 in top of 1st.

Go Rangers and Twins. Chaos is close.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Looking at the standings today, I realized that unless there's a rainout today, every team will play all 162 games. I can't imagine that's all that common an occurrence, although perhaps it might become more common given five playoff spots per division.

6. LongTimeListener

That's part of it, I'm sure, but the increased revenue has led baseball to make sure those games are played no matter what. The Giants were rained out in Cincinnati on July 4, and all sides were so determined to play the game that they actually put it as a doubleheader in San Francisco with the Reds as the home team for one of the games.

Those are the kinds of games that used to be under the "eh, we'll get to it if we need to" umbrella.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

9 no-hit innings for Henderson Alvarez. But because it's the Marlins, it's 0-0.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Unless we get wild card chaos. Then you'll have two teams playing 163, and possibly one playing 164 -- which, I believe, would be a first.

9. LongTimeListener

Giants and Dodgers played 165 regular-season games in 1962, capped by their three-game tiebreaker.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ah, yes. Forgot they used to do that instead of the one-game playoff.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Marlins win it for a walkoff no-hitter. Don't see that every day.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Pitcher watches his no-hitter become fact from the on-deck circle. How weird and wonderful.

Draft saved Draft deleted