1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 MLB postseason running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 30, 2013.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No it's not, it's bang on.

The half spot never used to get anybody in, so no it hasn't always been there. This gives division winners a bigger advantage which they should get after 162 game regular season.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As long as there has been a wild card spot in baseball, it earned the teams a full series. But hey, if you want to join Rick in being wrong, be my guest.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Good for the Pirates ... hard not to root for some new blood in the MLB playoffs.

I'd like to see a Pittsburgh-Tampa World Series. You know, the Bucs vs. the Bucs!

... uh, wait a minute ... ;)

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Baseball corrected a mistake and made winning your division a bigger advantage.

5. Devin

Devin Member

I agree. Before the expanded postseason the Wild Cards were on a relatively even playing field with the division winner. The new format forces all four Wild Cards to use one of their best starting pitchers and even relievers. As pitching centered as the postseason is, that factor is extremely important.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Glad both for the Bucs and their long-suffering fans, but also for the avoidance of the conniption fit that would have been unleashed by the purists if we had a pennant-winner or world champ who finished third in their five-team division.

7. outofplace

Which fails to take into account the fact that a wild card out of a strong division is often much more deserving than a champion of a weaker division.

8. Devin

Devin Member

Well, that's something you really can't account for from season to season.

9. outofplace

When you make an argument based on who you think deserves what, that is absolutely something you should be taking into account.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The last time before tonight the Pirates won a postseason game (10/13/1992), Bryce Harper was still three days from being born.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There was a bright star in the desert to guide his mother to the nearest seedy hotel.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely clear on what your point is.

They changed a rule and made it better. It used to be different. OK?

Draft saved Draft deleted