1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 MLB postseason running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 30, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I guess today's game can either be Game 163 of the regular-season thread, but after that it's the nitty-gritty.

And any day now MLB and the networks can get their act together and announce game times. Can't imagine the outcome of the wild-card games would have a dramatic effect either way, they already know which are the marquee teams and big markets that they can build the schedule around. But maybe this is only a consideration in the LTL household where we are hoping not to have to pull the kids out of school Friday for the A's opener. (But we'll do it if we have to. We're gamers.)

--Biggest question I see is the Dodgers' lineup. Kemp's comeback is a no-go and he is out. Ethier is very questionable. Suddenly the team that had one too many outfielders has one too few.

--Will Nelson Cruz jump back into Rangers' lineup? Will he help? Will it matter, or will they complete the death spiral tonight?

--The A's have no idea when or if Yoenis Cespedes, their #2 home run guy, will play. He has started one game in the last two weeks and had to leave that one early.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Star-Telegram was reporting that Cruz will be on the roster and may start at DH. Depends, in part, on who'll catch ... if it's Soto, Pierzynski would probably be the DH. I'm siding with those who say Cruz playing can't hurt. I was intrigued by his quotes re: the instructional league work he was getting in. Said his timing was OK re: fastballs but that he hadn't seen any major-league breaking stuff. Wondering if he's playing possum.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dodgers-Pirates in the NLCS

Red Sox-A's in the ALCS

Red Sox v. Pirates in World Series

Pirates in 7.

4. LongTimeListener

Think this could finally be the year the A's break through. Seems like they get a big break in first round as they won't be facing the real Miguel Cabrera (whose status, I now realize after my initial post, is probably the biggest question of the postseason).

Red Sox-A's

Braves-Cardinals

A's vs. Cardinals in World Series, A's win in six games and celebrate in the sewage

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Man, PNC Park would be such a great place for a World Series.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the NBA and NHL copy the play-in game setup. It's just a wonderful way to kick-start the postseason.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The last day of last season (or was it 2011) was magical (remember Rays and Cards winning on final day to get in?) Well getting a bonus game this year prior to the wild card round is nearly as fun.

I don't mind the one game finality, hey at least you got a shot at the playoffs right?

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Cardinals-Dodgers
    Red Sox-A's

Cardinals-A's

Cards in 6.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Game times and TV schedule starting to trickle out (all times Eastern):

Reds/Pirates at Cardinals
    Game 1, 5:07 p.m. Thursday, TBS
    Game 2, 1:07 p.m. Friday, MLB

Dodgers at Braves
    Game 1, 8:37 p.m. Thursday, TBS
    Game 2, 6:07 p.m. Friday, TBS

Rays/Indians/Rangers at Red Sox
    Game 1, 3:07 p.m. Friday, TBS
    Game 2, 5:37 p.m. Saturday, TBS

Tigers at Athletics
    Game 1, 9:37 p.m. Friday, TBS
    Game 2, 9:07 p.m. Saturday, TBS

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Doesn't the late start for the A's on Saturday mean the Raiders game has to be played at some ungodly hour, like 11:30 p.m. EST?

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes. There was talk of swapping stadiums, but Raiders-Chargers will stay in Oakland and go at 8:30 p.m. PDT on NFL Network instead of CBS.

I'm sure CBS is just fine with this because it means instead of having to show that game in the SoCal market, it gets PFM at the Cowboys for the entire country.

12. LongTimeListener

So the NFL is going up against its 49ers game on NBC with a Raiders game on NFL Network?

Players' families won't even watch the Raiders.

EDIT: Oh wait. You said 8:30 p.m. PDT. Are you serious? That's actually a kind of cool doubleheader.

Draft saved Draft deleted