1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 MLB Hall of Fame Screechfest

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They'll get in but I'd be surprised if they're first ballot guys.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Does anyone do a straw poll a la HeismanPundit?

It just strikes me that with those two, most people accept a clear spot on the timeline where they started doing it ('99 for Bonds, '97-98 for Clemens), and by then they were a three-time MVP and three-time Cy Young winner anyway.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The difference is that this is a counter-argument against the idea that Morris would be in already had he been a Yankee.

And the BBWAA is the body that would have allegedly been favoring said Yankee.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bonds, Clemens, Raines. But what I'm most interested in is whether Schilling gets much support.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'll vote for him. I imagine he'll have a moderate to decent showing for a first ballot candidate who's not an obvious lock.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Honest question: would he even get 5 percemt without the sock?

7. Dick Whitman

Oh, yeah. Definitely. The 2001 postseason and being an all-time 1-2 punch with Randy Johnson would have him in the discussion.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is going to be a fun one to watch...

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If there was ever a year to eliminate the 10-man rule, this would be it. There are easily close to 20 players of the 37 you can make an arguement for.

I think the voting is either going to be Morris by himself or Morris and Biggio.

And the logjam will begin for the next decade.

There are a couple of places that do straw polls as Jan. 9 approaches. I know the LA Times asked 18 voters on Monday about Bonds and Clemens and 10 said they would vote for both.

And Todd Walker should be on the first-timer list with Larry Walker as the hold-over Walker.

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Todd Walker and Larry Walker were mistakenly switched on the bbwaa web site. Fixed now.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ok, that makes more sense.

12. Dick Whitman

It will be interesting to see how close the vote totals are for Clemens and Bonds.

You have to figure if you vote for one, you're voting for the other. And if you're excluding one, you're excluding the other. Hard to justify a ballot where only one is checked.

Draft saved Draft deleted