1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 IIHF World Junior Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Thought this deserve it's own topic. So far, the Canadians haven't looked so great. They have taken a lot of stupid penalties.

They lost their first exhibition game against Finland 3-2, and they're currently in overtime against Sweden right now.

Tournament starts on Boxing Day.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: World Junior Championship

Sport?

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Re: World Junior Championship

I know it's only exhibition, ahem, pre-competition, but Finland schooled the US this morning.

Canuckistanis have not looked good offensively and spend some much time killing penalties that guys like Nugent-Hopkins rarely get to play.

Who knows whether the IIHF will throw the book at Boone Jenner for his hit that KO'd the Swede kid and broke some of his ribs. Sure, it was a charge - and probably a major - but wouldn't likely be suspendable in the CHL. Jenner could be a big loss, a big, physical guy who can score. I've seen plenty of Binnington and Subban, wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Binnington nail the starting job.

Rooting for my buddy Steve Spott, one of the great guys I worked with during my time in the OHL.

5. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

7. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

Re: 2013 IIHF World Championships

Not a great game for the Americans today, losing 5-1 to Finland.

8. Re: 2013 IIHF World Championships

I think the thread title needs to be changed to 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships because the World Championships don't start until May ;)

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Re: 2013 IIHF World Junior Championships

Ha. I didn't even notice he'd removed the word "Junior."

My bad.

10. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

This is a huge event for Canada. I would compare this to the hype, coverage and following that March Madness college basketball gets in the United States.
    This year with no NHL, this is one of the top sporting events in Canada, as far as TV ratings and media coverage.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

They've had it damn good over the last four or five years but you know in a lockout year TSN would have loved to have the tourney closer to home rather than played in sterile, half-empty buildings on the other side of the world.

Appreciate Ray Ferraro's understated, spot-on analysis much more than Pierre McGuire's "every guy in a Canadian jersey is a great, character guy who will play in the NHL for 10 years" bullshit (laughable to some of us who actually knew these kids), incessant brown bunny shouts to junior hockey and college coaches and endless coachspeak.

12. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

What are the major rule changes from the NHL? I'm guessing they are playing on wider ice.

Draft saved Draft deleted