1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 College Football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 23, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's never too early to talk college football coaches changing jobs...not when the Idaho Vandals have pulled the trigger and replaced some losing guy no one ever heard of with some other lesser-known, lesser-qualified guy.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8538248/idaho-vandals-introduce-interim-coach-jason-gesser

OK, enough of that. What I really want to know is...how long do you think it will take Jon Gruden to win an SEC Championship in Knoxville? One year or one year?

http://8thmaxim.com/site/forum/content/211-jon-gruden-next-coach-tennessee-vols-comments60.html

;D

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Based on what Gruden asked for when he was up for the Miami job, I have to wonder if any college (or pro) team would ever give him what he wants...

Then again, if you look at what Saban has done at Bama and what Meyer has started at Ohio State and you can definitely make the argument that if you can get an elite guy, they're worth it.

Gruden would be a great college coach. My question would be how long can he stay interested?

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If Gruden wants to get back into coaching, there are 10 NFL teams that would hire him.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Great, I'll put you both down for "one year."

5. Mizzougrad96

Not true... There's a reason why Gruden and Cowher and some of the other bigger name coaches who have been out for more than a few years have stayed out... Teams don't want to give them the kind of absolute power that they would require to go back. That's not to say that some team eventually won't, but the notion that these guys are being sought after by any team with an opening is just false...

6. Mizzougrad96

If he took the Tennessee job, they'd be a national contender within two years.

7. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or does Gruden's name seem to pop up for EVERY major (even if just in the fanbase minds) job that opens??

8. Steak Snabler

The Tennessee thing has legs because he was a GA there in the mid-80s and his wife is a former Vols cheerleader.

9. Mizzougrad96

The Chizik watch at Auburn is fascinating. Even in the SEC, watching a coach go from winning a title to likely getting fired within two years is pretty amazing.

Years ago, I remember a longtime college football writer telling me that winning a title buys you 10 years of goodwill from even the craziest fan bases. He was referring to Fulmer at the time. I don't remember exactly how many years Fulmer got after winning the title, but I think it was eight or nine.

The caveat should have been, "as long as the team stays competitive" I'll be pretty stunned if Chizik survives this, and there will be a lot of pressure on Auburn to hire a game-changer to compete with Saban. I'm curious who that person would be and if that person exists.

10. Mizzougrad96

If they offered him something close to what Meyer got at Ohio State, I could see it happening.

11. Mizzougrad96

I expect at least four SEC openings this year.

12. Steak Snabler

Chizik's an outlier in a lot of ways.

1. It's Auburn and those people are crazy. This cannot be overstated. They fired Tommy Tuberville a year after he'd beaten Alabama six straight times.

2. He shares the state with the best coach in college football, who has assembled what seems to be an unstoppable recruiting and winning machine.

3. Chizik's track record is God awful with the exception of one year. Even in what appeared to be a decent 2011 season (8-5), Auburn was blown out four times — including by 38 and 28 points by their two biggest rivals (Georgia and Alabama). It's pretty obvious that the credit for the 2010 national championship goes to Cam Newton and whomever it was that convinced him to sign with Auburn (which probably wasn't Chizik).

Draft saved Draft deleted