1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 College Football Coaching Carousel thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/apnewsbreak-texas-regent-talked-sabans-agent

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Say it with me: "I don't know how many times I have to say this to you people. I am the head coach at Alabama and I am here to talk about our game this weekend. Now, if any of you have any questions about this weekend's game, I'll gladly answer them. But I am not interested in the Texas job. I don't know how many more times I have to say it before it sinks in for you folks."

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Saban cares about being able to lay claim to the title as the best coach in college football history, winning titles at three schools might be enough to do that.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Breaking news! to me at least. When did this happen? And what will become of the SIAC (is that what it's called?).

5. Starman

Saban's contract supposedly contains a clause requiring Alabama to write him a buyout check equal to the full dollar amount of the entire contract (start to finish), at whatever time he elects to leave for whatever reason.

So Bama will be paying up bigtime either way.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That makes no sense, even for people from Alabama.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, when you factor in the amount of income generated by a top-flight program, not just to athletic departments but school wide, throw in the various TV deals, it's pretty easy to argue that Saban is underpaid at $6 mil a year. Figure he'll be making $10 mil a year fairly soon, somewhere. $120 million budget with an avg. profit of $13 mil, yeah, they could chip him off another 4.

8. Starman

Sure it does. An agent demands the ultimate in leverage -- and gets it.

With that clause, Alabama can never threaten Saban about ANYTHING -- they have to keep him happy no matter what, or else he gets paid off double the value of his contract.

At some of his previous jobs Saban and Sexton got guff when they were trolling around for other jobs.

With that clause, they can troll for any job they want any time they feel like it, and if anybody from Bama breathes even a peep of protest, they can say, "Fuck you, write us our check, and we'll be leaving now."

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah I remembered seeing some discussion of that clause in Saban's contract. But wouldn't it be a public document and pretty easy to prove if the clause truly exists? I can't believe anyone would subject themselves to that, even for Saban.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But, but, we need to protect the kids from being poached from other schools!

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

1. Edsall is safe. Maryland is 3-0 for the first time since 2001 (albeit against miserable opposition) and looks like it is headed to a bowl game. Friedgen left that program a mess and there have been inroads made in recruiting.

2. Lane Kiffin ... LOL

3. Dabo Sweeney ... Texas candidate?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or he could just win five more at Alabama before he's done.
    I'm no Saban fan, but even he's got to realize he'd be an idiot to leave Alabama, right? Not only does he have them on top of the mountain and poised to stay there a while, he's essentially a god. He could strangle, gut, and ass rape a hooker at the 50-yard line during halftime of a game at Bryant-Denny, and you'd have 100,000 people saying, "Nope. Didn't see nuthin'. Roll Tide."

Draft saved Draft deleted