1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013-14 MLB Hot Stove thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The team's got plenty of money too. Wrigley is still packed at astronomical ticket prices and they're still getting teevee money.

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever believe a word of poor-mouthing poverty-pleading bullshit from billionaire professional sports team owners.

It's all part of their public relations long game: a continual monotonous drumbeat of sob stories about how broke they are, designed to subconsciously condition the public into accepting the idea of more massive tax-money giveaways. "We could afford Robinson Cano, if only ... if only ... if only ... if only the taxpayers would give us a new writeoff or kickback (or flat cash handout) worth a couple hunded mill a year. Yeah, that's the ticket!!!"

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Wrigley attendance is down about 700k from its peak, and the TV deal is pretty stale. Half of it comes in renewal in 2014 and the other half at the end of the decade.

You've got your schtick down pat here, but it's misapplied in this specific situation. The Cubs aren't "poor." They are just owned by people who have taken great pains to make sure that the money they make goes into the ownership's pockets and only a limited amount can be spent on the team itself.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

SF Chronicle reports that after locking up Pence, the Giants started talking contract with ... Tim Lincecum.

Boy I hope that doesn't happen.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In other words, they're using the typical billionaire owners' narrative :))) of .... we need taxpayer money to survive!

5. RickStain

They tried that and got shut down, so now it's "We have to lower payroll to survive, we aren't making any profits!"

(because the "profits" are being counted as interest payments on the debt that they borrowed from themselves to buy the team).

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sounds like they could count the interest as a tax writeoff in one book and a profit center in the other, and claim what benefits themselves from either.

If I tried that with my money, the IRS would stick me under Gitmo.

7. RickStain

There have been rumors that the IRS might look a bit closer at the sale and tell Zell he owes more taxes.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sam Zell had a great life plan -- buy a bunch of stuff with borrowed money, don't pay it back, sell it, don't pay the taxes, hope you die before you have to reconcile it all.

It's genius, really.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Let the Joe Girardi to Chicago rumors begin...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-chicago-cubs-manager-dale-sveum-fired-20130930,0,1975349.story

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm glad the Giants resigned Pence.

As for Lincecum, I'm hopeful because while his velocity is down, he's still in the top 10 of the majors in getting swings and misses on his pitches (only 74% contact rate I believe); that's elite stuff. He's young enough to still learn command and he's given hints that he accepts that now. Hey, its not my money, give him that extra $$ for the past dominance too.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Seattle has been rebuilding for the past decade and it doesn't seem to matter who they bring in, veterans or youngsters. Some years they seem to have some pieces, but it never comes together. Managerial graveyard.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Lincecum is 29. He is what he is at this point.

Draft saved Draft deleted