1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012, the movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Oct 2, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Saw the trailer for this tonight, and thought it was another car ad.

Looked awful, but I'm sure it'll be a hit. Only thing I remember is a plane narrowly missing a falling train and cars flying off the road.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The wallpapered the ad across the broadcast and cable networks - Comcast even advertised the ad being on in the last couple of days.
    It looked a little too cartoonish for me. Kind of like The Day After Tomorrow.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It definitely looks more Day After Tomorrow than Independence Day (which was awesome). It was really cool when they blew up the White House and Empire State building in ID4 ... now these disaster movies are just about finding new ways to destroy tourist sites.

I'm a little torn about this one ... I never for a minute thought TDAT would be any good, but I like John Cusack. Emmerich run the gamut from Awesome (ID4), to Decent (The Patriot), to Utter Cinematic Excrement (Godzilla, TDAT). Were I a betting man, I'd take Utter Cinematic Excrement. Were I an optimist, I'd hope for something close to ID4.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't understand that.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

See, now when they showed the commercial last nite (during the Mentalist, I think), I barely blinked. Made a note to see it. That was some cataclysmic shit. I was riveted. Anyone know what the genesis of all this destruction is?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The world is supposed to end in 2012.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I also thought it looked pretty cool. Then again, I'm a simple man. Easily riveted.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

i don't like uber-destruction movies, but this one looks intriguing.

and to answer the genesis question, "it's no fun being an illegal alien" ... err, the movie is based on the mayan calendar prediction that the world will blow up in 2012 on a specific date.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I thought it would take at least 6 years for world destruction under Obama. ;)

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Well played, sir. But I always thought it was "Abacab."

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I think he's referring to "Independence Day."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted