1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 SJ Fantasy Football

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Count me in.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'll post the league details tonight. Seems like we have some people who are interested. Sweet!

3. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I'll play if there are still openings.

4. Rumpleforeskin

If you replied in this thread, check your PMs.

Edit: I can always change the settings, but I wanted to make you think about who you draft. Might add a defensive player for kicks and giggles.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Factory of Sadness is in.

I think the penalties for interceptions (minus-6 points) and pick-sixes (minus-12) is a bit harsh. Maybe make them minus-3 and minus-5 or minus-6?
    I don't mind having them count against you, but no way should an interception be as harmful as a touchdown is beneficial. It basically means an intercepted hail mary at the end of a half or game can swing the outcome of the fantasy matchup, and one mistake on an out route can turn a strong day by your quarterback into a disaster.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If this is going to be a 16-team league, an IDP spot would definitely stretch out the talent pool. And if you really want to make this about draft strategy, set it up for a full point per tackle. That makes linebackers like Patrick Willis as valuable as a solid running back.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Batman, I like the way you think. Minus-12 was a bit harsh for QBs who throw Pick-6s.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Not a fan of minus points...but I'm in with The Tecmobowlers!

9. Rumpleforeskin

So you think you shouldn't be penalized if a QB throws a pick or a running back fumbles?

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I've never seen a football game in my life that points are taken off the board for a negative play...why so in fantasy football?

If a wide receiver pops the ball up in the air even though it was right on the numbers, or he runs a wrong timing route...does he lose the points? Same goes for a botched snap that maybe the center mis-times the snap and it goes sailing over the QBs head and all he can do is fall on it. Why punish the guy for not allowing his team to turn the ball over?

It also brings in the aspect of unfair play. If you lead by 1 point going into MNF and all you have left is your QB....what's the point in starting him? You can leave the position blank and win, or risk starting him and losing the game.

I could also go into the reasoning of why QBs shouldn't have 6 points for a passing TD (since they only do some of the work...and it downgrades the doubling up of QB/WR handcuffs)...but I digress :)

I will give you props for partial points though. I can't understand why people in this day and age don't want to have a better point total given (especially when you finish 1 yard short of getting the next point. I'm a league that still uses only whole points...so dumb)

Again, I'm just airing my opinion...not trying to pout. It's just how I play the game "normally" in my main money league. (We also give 1 point for every 30 yards passing and 15 yards rushing instead along with .5 point per reception (to help WRs in value and RBs that catch a lot).

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Belichick Yo Self is in.

12. Too late for Schaub on my Knaub?

Draft saved Draft deleted