1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Rolling cycling thread -- US Pro Challenge edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 8, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Re: 2012 Rolling cycling thread -- Tour de France edition

Mothership NBC showing TdF live...pretty cool.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

And to think I just spent an hour and a half outside mowing the lawn because I couldn't find it on NBC Sports.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Wiggins nailed Cadel back at the end, but from what I just saw I'm afraid he might not be able to cover a real break when the business gets tough. I hope he can.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Great finish. Lots of legitimate GC contenders this year.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Instead of watching this morning, I went for a ride. While I was on the bike, I got an email from Strava informing me I'd lost KOM on a segment that I didn't even know about. Naturally, this meant I had to change my plan (hill repeats) and concentrate on getting it back. After three passes on the segment, I was still 1 second slower than the new leader.

Damn it.

6. TigerVols

I'm half tempted to put this on the journalism thread, where some "outsiders" can comment...

...but Bradley Wiggins pretty much went apeshit at the presser following today's stage, when he was asked by the AP:

"What do you say to the cynics who think that you have to be doped up to win the Tour de France?"

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-delivers-caustic-assessment-of-his-critics

Given that Wiggins has never been associated with a drug scandal that I can recall, I'm not sure if that's a fair question in this context. I mean, it's something that I suppose could be asked of every rider in every press conference, given the sport's history...but it seems to me there are certainly places where it should be addressed. Maybe in the race's inaugural presser, or after the victory...but in the middle, when there have been no new drug scandals? Poor form, IMO.

7. Shoeless Joe

Wiggins putting a minute on Cadel was huge today. All he has to do is shadow him the rest of the way, and the Tour is Wiggo's. Evans tried to drop him both days on the final climbs, but Wiggins covered. I don't see Evans getting a minute back in the final TT.

8. Shoeless Joe

I read The Sun every day, and I think we are giving Wiggins more coverage than they are. That's sad.

9. TigerVols

Yeah, I saw some cycling blogs complaining about the lack of Brit coverage.

Oh, and I agree with you. Barring some mechanical/accident, the race was won today. Which sucks (although I am pulling for Wiggo, I'm also pulling from some fireworks along the way).

10. TigerVols

How does the joke go? That Eastern Michigan gets put on probation every time Michigan gets caught cheating by the NCAA?

A day after Team Sky dominates, Cofidis gets raided and their star rider arrested by French authorities...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cofidis-hotel-raided-di-gregorio-arrested-at-tour-de-france

11. Shoeless Joe

And why the crap is it that this has been going on for a year and they even let him start the race? I swear that the number of doping cases around the world that magically pop up this time of year are not a coincidence.

Someone could get caught with a truck load of EPO on Aug. 1 and it wouldn't come out until the third week of June the following year.

12. TigerVols

Not every day you read a column (allegedly) written by a leading athlete during the middle of the competition.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/jul/13/bradley-wiggins-dope-drugs

I so want to believe him. And, frankly, I think that I do.

Draft saved Draft deleted