1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 CFL running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The season gets underway tomorrow with no U.S. TV deal yet, but all games will be on ESPN3.com. Winnipeg won't be able to open its new stadium this year.

Thought I'd get the ball rolling. I'd like to catch a game up in Montreal in September or October.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not even NFL Network?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Nope. I've read hints NBC Sports would pick up some games after the Olympics.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I take great advantage of ESPN3 showing games. I love the CFL.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Roughriders are wearing white helmets for the first time ever Friday night. I guess they're just one-off specials. They'll probably be a jinx.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Since my son is no longer playing for Edmonton, I can go back and cheer for my Ticats.

Tomorrow night at Ivor Wynne against Saskatchewan.

Andy Fantuz, ex Rider hero, is now wearing black and gold

Ticats have a chance this year.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Did Elliott try to land with anyone?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nope. After he was released from the Riders last summer he went back to Acadia University and was one of the defensive co-ordinators on the football team that ended up going to the national semi finals but lost.

He had a good relationship with the AD at Acadia and pitched a proposal that the university accepted. He's now the strength & conditioning coach for all ten Acadia teams, women's and men.

The kid has been working ungodly hours--at least 15 a day but he loves every minute of it.

Am very proud of him.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Not to rain on your parade, wouldn't count on it with Burris under centre. Still very talented but he still struggles with making stupid plays at the worst time. Very likeable guy, but he has a talent for stringing you along and getting your hopes up only to crush you. When he does keep it together for an entire season he is almost unstoppable, but those years are rare.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Good to hear he landed on his feet. I always liked the way he played in Edmonton.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Looks like it will be a strange year in the CFL this year with the East being the overwhelming power centre. Don't know the last time we could say that.
    These are my picks

West
    1 BC: Champs may actually repeat this year
    2 Calgary: Big transition season for them, but a lot of talent still on the roster
    3 Edmonton: I don't trust Jyles or Joeseph any further than I can throw them. Still lots of talent on the roster though, just a huge hole at QB. Wonder how quickly McNichol or even Masoli get a shot at QB.
    4 Saskatchewan: Will get uglier before it gets pretty.

East
    Really flipping a coin on all of these
    1 Hamilton: As JR said, they are talented this year. Burris is always good in the regular season
    2 Winnipeg: Huge hole at RB with Garrett going down, but RB is the easiest position to fill
    3 Toronto: Ray will be their best QB since Damon Allen, but not wild about the depth of talent surrounding him.
    4 Montreal: Feels weird to be putting them down here. Could be an 8-8 last place team. This is the year they regress, right?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're right about Burris but did I tell you I'm a Hamilton looser fanboi? :)

I'm probably more emotionally involved with them than the Leafs

Draft saved Draft deleted