1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Baseball HOF ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 30, 2011.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

At the bottom of this page, good video with interview from BBWAA secretary/treasurer talking about voting process...

http://bbwaa.com/voting-faq/

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Elliotte, if I'm around to vote in all three years, I will vote for everyone but Sosa, Mussina and Kent. God, will pixels die next December when the Bonds-Clemens arguments start.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree with you on Sosa and Mussina.

Kent is an I don't know.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Mussina is tough for me. My biggest memory has to with the fact that Moose struck out my future high school physics teacher in the 1986 PA State Championship game. We could usually get out of class every few weeks, by having out teacher remember the story.

I love Mussina just for that.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

As for Martinez or any DH, I'd ask what are basic hitting benchmarks someone should reach in 18 seasons, assuming they played the field at a below average level? Since those who DH don't play the field, you have to assume they would be below average if they had a position. I'd think you'd better be damn good offensively just to be a HOF player anyway. You'd have to be even better as someone who is a below average fielder.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Martinez meets that standard.

7. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Martinez basically built his HoF credentials over seven seasons (1995-2001). He was an elite hitter as his career OPS (.933) shows, although his counting numbers are more solid than special.

How much of a break did he get as a hitter by never having to step on the field over a six-month period, especially on hot summer days (I understand he played home games in the Kingdome) as well as never risking aches and pains and injuries by not having to play a position? Baseball is a 162-game grind that he was not subjected to in the same way as his peers. Playing a position in the field should count for a lot.

It looks like voters share that ambivalence judging by a 36 percent total that dropped to 33 percent in his second year on the ballot.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Also, didn't they make him a full-time DH because he couldn't stay healthy when he played the field?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Martinez is the first career DH with Hall credentials. He'll likely be the last, as the position has evolved to "giving one of our old regulars a day off." Given the resistance of the Hall electorate to new ideas, I'm really kind of surprised he's gotten as many votes as he has.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Isn't Raines known by some as the guy who would slide headfirst so that he didn't break the cocaine vial in his back pocket?

I vote for Raines but I think that association hurt his image during his playing days and lingers now with some Hall voters.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You're thinking of Otis Nixon. And Vince Coleman. And Alan Wiggins. ... :D

(But hey, they didn't call that guy "Rock" for nothin'.)

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If cocaine use is going to be grounds for banishment, sheesh, we can just not let anyone in who played from 1976 to 1986 at least.

Draft saved Draft deleted