1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Baseball HOF ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 30, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Pretty weak field this year. The calm before the storm next year with Bonds, Clemens and Sosa eligible. Columnist linked in that story says it's good news for Larkin and Morris. I hope this is the year Raines gets in.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/16294775/williams-mueller-lead-13-to-join-hall-ballot-with-larkin-morris

2. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

I like Larkin, Raines and Bagwell the most in that field.

I also always liked Walker's five-tool ability, but I don't think he's quite there.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope Raines goes in.

I'm lukewarm on Morris, but I don't have a big problem if he gets in.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't vote for Larkin.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Without looking them up too closely, I'd say yes to Larkin, Bagwell and Martinez, at least.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I've long been a big Raines supporter, so I hope this is his year.

Beyond that, no one really jumps out at me. Though I will say that Alan Trammell was a far better player than he's remembered as being (as was Lou Whitaker).

6. Mizzougrad96

Oh yeah, I'd definitely be a yes on Bagwell.

7. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

I just don't see Morris as a Hall of Famer and don't believe his numbers merit it as well. What don't you like about Larkin? Just curious.

As for Martinez, great hitter. Still warming to the thought of a longtime DH in the HoF, although I'm not sure that's a legitimate concern.

8. Mizzougrad96

Morris is one of those guys for me where when someone mentions his name, I think Hall-of-Famer and then you look at his numbers and it becomes a tougher sell.

I never thought of Larkin as being great. He was very good.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I thought Dante Bichette was robbed the year Larkin won MVP.

His numbers are good for the position and the time, and he was a very good fielder, but wasn't on the level of Ozzie Smith or Vizquel.

He's more deserving than Tony Perez, and I won't throw a fit if he gets in, but I know a few people who don't even think he's the most deserving Cincy shortstop.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If the holdovers don't get in this year, it's going to be a loooooong wait. I have a feeling Larkin's a lock and Raines would be next on the list. I'm hopefull for Bagwell but either voters are still going to hold steriod cloud over him or they are waiting to put him and Biggion in together.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And this field -- Jeromy Burnitz, Vinny Castilla, Brian Jordan, Javy Lopez, Bill Mueller, Terry Mulholland, Phil Nevin, Brad Radke, Tim Salmon, Ruben Sierra, Bernie Williams, Tony Womack, Eric Young -- has to be the one of the worst first-timers groups in a while.

All of them expect for Williams will probably drop off the ballot.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Is that you, Manky?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I kinda like Tony Womack myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted