1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Academy Awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

He saved games for the Mets. He grew a great mustache. He threw left-handed. He hosted the Oscars.

Was there ANYTHING the man couldn't do?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Another fused synapse moment. Damn age! Damn drugs!!

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Weak list of nominees. Pretty lackluster when it comes down to it.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Seems like another blah year for the Oscars. I think The Descendants will take it all and Clooney will win the Best Actor statue. Alex Payne is amazing.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, that would be interesting... I'm trying to think of a movie that was nominated for Best Picture that was widely viewed as being mediocre by critics... That's tough....

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"The Blind Side"
    "The Reader" (also directed by Daldry)
    "Chocolat"
    Maybe "The Cider House Rules"?

But you're right - none were hated like this one. I mean, this wasn't a film that got mediocre reviews. Critics were downright hostile toward it. EW is about the only exception.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sometime in the next week or so I'll go through a modern bestpic nom list and have a wonderful time dredging up all the cripples.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

1974 - The Towering Inferno

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bonnie and Clyde was uniformly panned by critics upon its opening. It opened a second time, a few critics admitted they were wrong (!) and it's now movie and cultural history.

10. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Did not like Extremely Loud or Tree of Life. Screenplay flawed in first, editing/good sense needed in second. Actually really like Moneyball and The Descendants but very disappointed no Margin Call or Ides of March. I thought Jeremy Irons' performance in Margin Call was by far the best I've seen all year and I've seen a lot of movies. Probably more than the people who voted for these nominations. I have a friend who is in SAG and she gets a nominating form. She never goes to or watches any movies. But she votes every year! It's a sham.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That's one!

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What's doubly lunatic about it are the other 1974 nominees:

"The Godfather Part II"

"Chinatown"

"The Conversation"

"Lenny"

Draft saved Draft deleted