1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Academy Awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'll see Tree of Life before the show, but I'm skeptical about it. I've not been impressed by Malick's other two big films, The Thin Red Line and The New World.

Oh, and I was surprised to see Jonah Hill and Brad Pitt get nominations for Moneyball. I thought they were both good in it, but neither gave a performance that blew me away.

And considering everything I heard about Fassbender in "Shame," I was surprised not to see him on the list.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You're a fan of movies; I implore you to see Tree of Life.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

In the room, the most buzz was that Melancholia and Shame were shut out.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Close and McTeer prove that there is always room for more than one Jaye Davidson Memorial Nomination. And McCarthy was a hoot in Bridesmaids, but I certainly wouldn't imagine it being truly one of the top five performances by an actress. And the dialogue in Bridesmaids provided a lot of funny moments, but I didn't think the script was particularly transcendent.

5. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I'm thrilled that The Tree of Life got in, not so much because I loved the movie (I didn't) but because it's an ambitious and uncompromising work. On the reverse end, I'm horrified that Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close got in. Yikes! And no, I'm not going to see it.

I overestimated Fincher and underestimated Malick. I would have rather seen Hanazavicius or Allen replaced by Malick, but I'll take it.

No nomination for Fassbender, ouch. Oh well, he has a long career ahead of him. I don't think anyone predicted Demian Bichir

Glad Rooney Mara is getting nominated, but a bit disappointed about Theron being left out.

Brooks not getting in is a pretty big upset.

Jeez, these people actually like Albert Nobbs?

I'm glad A Separation got in.

I greatly overestimated TGWTDT and underestimated TTSS.

I expect In Darkness to win, it's about the Holocaust.

6. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I'm sure they'll be adding "Starring Oscar Nominee Jonah Hill" to the ads for "21 Jump Street" any day now.

7. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Here's a question for the knowledgeable: how, exactly, did Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close get a Best Picture nomination despite getting only one other nom?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I feel a little weird speaking for "Extremely Loud" because I haven't seen it, but I presume the answer is: (1) 9/11; (2) Tom Hanks; (3) Sandra Bullock; (4) Stephen Daldry; (5) Tears.

It was an Oscar stew, made to order. And the Academy bit.

9. NDub

NDub Guest

I wonder if half these nominators actually watch the movies and actors they vote in or don't vote for. Some of this shit is a fucking joke.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dick Whitman's assessment of "Extremely, Etc." is exactly correct. The Oscars are the entertainment equivalent of the coaches' poll.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Extremely Loud, etc., but I don't get the hatred for it.

My wife says the book was really good.

The previews look like it could be really good or a snoozefest.

So is it the 9/11 thing? Can't handle a dead Tom Hanks? Don't like children?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Because the kid's search is a silly premise, mainly.

Draft saved Draft deleted