1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012-13 College Basketball Running Cordial Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It was a great game when it was 31-31.

Then 2 things happened: 1) Indiana exploded and 2) UNC fell victim to ADD again like it did against Butler.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm much more shocked that Luke Zeller is on an NBA roster than I am with anything either of his brothers do.

How did that happen?

3. Songbird

I said "in the discussion" -- and last night he took another huge step.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ugh.

So which is it? "In the discussion" or "top of the list in that discussion?"

It's like you came into the college basketball season having no knowledge of....anything, really.

So, as a courtesy....Kentucky has a lot of talented freshmen again. Louisville is a top 5 team. Indiana is really good and has this one player, Zeller, who has a great chance of being national POY. Duke's decent, if you can imagine that. Oh, and UNC sucks so far.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

They didn't fall victim to ADD. They fell victim to the fact that they don't have any perimeter playmakers who can create their own shot, or a PG who can settle them down and get them into an offense. If they're as good as you think they are, which they aren't, they wouldn't be down by 30 points twice in a week. That doesn't happen to good teams. And you didn't answer my question - name these "studs" not named McAdoo.

6. Songbird

I've watched just as much college basketball as you this year, last year, the year before, for the last 25 years, and so I'm pretty versed on the haves and have-nots.

Until last night Zeller was a very good player and one of several guys who *could* be Player of the Year. That was the discussion.

After eating North Carolina's lunch last night he's very much the Player of the Year unless he goes in the shitter.

re: dre's question: anyone on Roy Williams' team at UNC is a stud. Inexperienced is not the same as pedestrian.

Again, it was 31-31, back and forth, great game, and at one point it looked like Indiana was on its heels. It would've been completely different had Indiana started the game on a 28-7 run and then coasted from there. So the Heels were doing plenty of things right for the first 15 minutes. That wasn't some kind of aberration. I don't know what the hell happened for the first 8 minutes of the second half other than Indiana is that good.

This isn't Matt Doherty's 8-20 UNC team.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Don't you watch tournament games, for example?

Every year, you have at least seven or eight games, maybe more, where it's Pissant State 32, Kentucky 29 with about five or six minutes to go in the first half.

And then, before you can blink, it's Kentucky 69, Pissant State 34.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You're probably right. I've watched parts of maybe five games all season. But I don't need to watch a ton of basketball to know that Cody Zeller is a player who could win the national POY award. He's only the best player on the top-ranked team in the country. Go figure!

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

See, now you've gone completely to the other end. These awards aren't won in November. Yes, it's a semantics argument, but your wording sucked the first time and it sucks again now. Just admit it.

10. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Wait till you guys see Andrew Wiggins next year. If High School players were allowed to declare he'd go first overall.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Carolina is three years removed from slumming in the NIT. Nothing is automatic.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Indeed. Just because a team hangs around for 15 minutes doesn't mean that it's as good, or even close to as good, as the team it's playing. And Xan, I was asking for the name of another player who is a really good player right now, not a year or two from now. This is a mediocre UNC team.

Draft saved Draft deleted