1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Only if the theme from Saved By The Bell plays at the end of all time-limit draws

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I took my nephew as his Christmas present. Overall a pretty good night. Figured there would not be any title changes since it was not televised. Don't like the fact that they do not set up grand entry stage at The Garden.

Best part of night was a suprise appearance of R Truth - sneaking in and jumping into ring to attack The Miz.

As far as Punk we happened to be walking out on side of Garden where wrestlers come out so we waited a bit. All of a sudden out of nowhere CM Punk jumps up on the barricade and the crowd goes wild. Perhaps it was to show the same security guard that the NY fans knew who he was. I was not a real fan till I watched him stay and sign each and every autograph.

As side note while this was going on Santino walked out unnoticed. He looked like one of Garden workers leaving.

3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'm enjoying Johnny Ace as the GM right now.

But once this runs out of steam, Belding would be hilarious, especially if they turned him heel. I'm all for it.

4. Sorry, but I am not enjoying Mr. Laurenitis. Outside of the dynamic dude references made by Punk, this episode of the GM storyline is just awful, mostly because of John's worthlessness on the mic. At first, I thought it was all an act, a tight-assed executive who wasn't meant for the spotlight, but he's flubbed so many lines where he was forced to repeat himself and carries the look of a clueless idiot for so long that I am convinced he is just a tool. The sooner he goes off tv, the better.

5. Boom_70

But isn't his purpose to play the "clueless idiot suit".
    If so he is doing a good job.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My issue with Laurinitis is that he's not really good in an authority role. He's better in a McMahon stooge role. When he first appeared on TV, it was like, "whoa, they're actually using Vince's right-hand man". But the shock wore off quickly.

He seems to be very low-key, which isn't what you want for a heel GM.

7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

He's good for one funny line a week.

8. Boom_70

He has the quality of the stooge assistant principle or comedy show hapless sidekick

9. In a world where this is more about entertainment than it is wrestling anymore (that seems to be changing though) there are more than enough guys in the back capable of not flubbing lines. The character he plays is workable. He just isn't doing a good job on execution.

10. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I think they could have somebody better playing the Laurinitis role. Who? Not sure on that, but there are better talkers out there for sure.
    I do find Punk's Dynamic Dudes and All Japan references amusing, though, but perhaps that's because I'm in the minority of fans who actually know what he's talking about and remember Johnny Ace from back then.

11. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I'm going to go ahead and throw this on here as well as the 2012 thread, but the Wrestling Observer Web site (which I do subscribe to, don't judge me) reports that WWE.com has posted that Orton has a herniated on the L-4/L-5 level and that with rehab, time off and anti-inflammatories, he should only be out a few weeks. This sounds legit as opposed to whatever they might say on Smackdown Friday night. WO also said Orton has been complaining about back issues for a couple of weeks, which is why he hasn't been doing much lately.
    As for who the big reveal is going to be, my gut instinct says Jericho, but there's a part of me that hopes it's somebody else just for the sake of having a curveball thrown at us. That being said, I don't want it to be Vince, Shane or Stephanie (or maybe even Undertaker). I'd like for it to be somebody different or new. But I think I'm asking for too much there.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Wade Barrett cut a promo leading into last night's Detroit house show in which he claimed he put Orton out for six months. That seems somehow unlikely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.