1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 NBA Rumor Mill Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 30, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So, with a little less than a month until the season begins, the rumors are already starting to fly about how teams will use the amnesty clause, which superstars might get traded, etc. My favorite has the Nets trying to land Dwight Howard before he becomes a free agent:

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/33595092

Also circulating is a deal for Chris Paul. Paul has said he wants to go to the Knicks, but SI is reporting that Danny Ainge is trying to put together a trade to get Paul, which involves dealing Rondo. I'd rather have Rondo, but that's just me.

2. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I heard that the Clippers were interested in Howard.

http://twitter.com/#!/Chris_Broussard

Clippers will do whatever it takes to get Howard and keep Blake Griffin.

If I'm the Clippers I'd go for something like this.

Kaman/Aminu/Mo Williams/DeAndre Jordan

for

Dwight and Hedo

Either that or keep DeAndre Jordan and put an unprotected 1st in there. Don't give up Blake or Gordon in this deal since the Clippers can always just sign Dwight next year. LA really has a lot of leverage here since Dwight wants to go to a big city.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Has a top-tier free agent ever signed with the Clippers?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The only reason anybody would want Rondo over Paul would because of Pauls knee. As players Paul is a much better point guard

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought he was traded to the Clippers.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

He was, for Tyson Chandler.

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Sterling gave big money to Elton Brand a few seasons back and signed Baron Davis to that large contract with the full intention of also signing Brand to a big contract in the same summer. He also offered Kobe a max contract that summer, Bryant played with the idea of leaving.

Sterling will absolutely spend what it takes to retain Dwight Howard and Blake Griffin, because max contract for MVP-type players are some of the best values around. If his aversion to spending manifests, it'll be in the form of letting guys like Jordan, Aminu, Bledsoe, and similar players walk in free agency.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Donald Sterling is a cheap, racist bastard. And his players know it. So does the rest of the league.

Kobe was never going to the Clippers. He was more likely to go to the Bulls, which wasn't likely at all.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Paul is fabulous but the health issues are a killer IMHO. There is a real chance you'd have a Roy situation on your hand.

Paul in NY with Amare' and 'Melo? Sounds great but do they really fit?

Howard and Williams in Brooklyn? That sounds like the start of something good.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

If the Clippers could land Howard without losing Griffin or Gordon, that would be a coup of staggering proportions--they'd suddenly have about the best young trio in basketball.

But I don't believe for a second it'll happen. Don't care how over the barrel Orlando is with DH free agency situation, they certainly should be able to do better than that Kaman/Aminu/Mo crap package. And, after all, this is the fricking Clippers, that franchise simply does not do these things.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If Paul is healthy he would be a perfect fit. He can dominate a game and still only take 8-10 shots.

Howard to the Clippers doesn't make sense to me. Until Griffin develops a perimeter shot, seems like they would fight over space on the block.

Howard and Williams would be nice.

12. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Mike Dunleavy said Kobe said "get your Clippers tickets", and that he was going back home and would come back and sign the contract...next thing you know he turned the TV on and sees Kobe and Mitch at the press conference...take that FWIW.

Draft saved Draft deleted