1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Masters running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Phil Mickelson looked pretty focused and strong at Redstone, tearing up a course that is somewhat similar in setup to Augusta.

How do we feel about Tiger Woods heading into this one?

Which Euro is the favorite? Kaymer? Westwood?

Who sneaks out of nowhere to contend on Sunday this year, a la Trevor Immelman or Brandt Snedeker?

Personally, I like Dustin Johnson a lot this week.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As in every major, I will root for Phil and root against Tiger.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Kaymer won't be welcomed very kindly by club officials this week. He recently referred to Augusta as just another course.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I think Tiger's a threat to miss the cut.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Anthony Kim win it, but I'm not optimistic about his chances.

As for Tiger, I'd be pretty stunned if he made the cut. His first rounds at Augusta are seldom very good and I could easily see him shooting an 80.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Weather's supposed to be really warm and it looks to be dry. Does that benefit any type of player? will it help shorter hitters who would get more rolls? And will the greens be even more brutal?

As always, I'll be pulling for Tiger to win. I can't help it. I don't really expect him to win, but also don't see him shooting an 80 or missing the cut. His worst finish as a pro there is T22 - last six years his worst finish is sixth. I know he's struggled at other places he's dominated - Memorial, Bay Hill - but if he could come out last year and compete in his first action, I don't see why he'd be shooting a ridiculously high score this year.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Bookmakers are scared to death of Tiger. He's been playing like a 25-1 pick for a year but bookies can't go near those odds because people would pound him and then he'd play like the Tiger of old.

If you watched Phil over the weekend you'd definitely get a piece of 12-1.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

12-1 seems high for Phil.

Tiger finishing fourth last year straight out rehab is scaring the bookies.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In other news, Augusta National is selling a limited number of tournament tickets for 2012 online. Wow.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The faster that course gets, the more important it is to keep the ball below the hole with elite iron play.

To me, that brings guys like Garcia into the picture. And obviously Mickelson.

Tiger needs to drive the ball on the 5 pars. If he does that, he'll be there.

11. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

That's the biggest news to come out of Augusta in my lifetime. Is there any disputing that, in terms of everything that has happened under his watch, that Billy Payne is the best chairman that Augusta National has ever had?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm more in the camp that Tiger is more inclined to miss the cut than to win this thing. He hasn't done anything all year on the course, and as noted above, the only reason he's favored is because the bookies are afraid he might finally show up. Yeah, he's won this thing four times, but not in six years -- and that was in a playoff.

Wouldn't mind seeing Dustin Johnson win, but I suspect one of the Euros will win.

Draft saved Draft deleted