1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 George Polk Awards

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not quite the Pulitzers, not the least of which because it includes magazines, but still a pretty big deal in journalism circles.

Couple of sports connections I notice:

* Sara Ganim was honored for her work on the Penn State scandal.
    * Lance Williams of "Game of Shadows" and BALCO fame was honored in the Medical Reporting category.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Ganim should sweep every award.

She'll have the opportunity to leave her small-town paper very soon.
  3. Dick Whitman

Quit fawning!
  4. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

Mid-size paper in a mid-size city. And a state capital.
  5. Piotr Rasputin

When I stop laughing, I suppose I'll stand corrected.
  6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I get your point, but I see the other, too....

There's a big difference career and lifestyle-wise between living in Madison, Wis., and Beloit, Wis.

Same here, I think. Maybe she doesn't want to work at the New York Times, and there are worse places to live and work than a good-sized college town.
  7. Piotr Rasputin

I understand this.

But - and not to comment on this Ganim situation specifically - if you're a newspaper reporter in your mid-20s and the big boys call, maybe you say "Well, I really like it here. I have a significant other who works locally, and I just really like being near this place." Maybe there's family considerations as well.

But that can lead to one day waking up in your mid-40s, having never had another opportunity, and saying "Aw, geez. I should have done that when I had the chance."
  8. Dick Whitman

I cannot imagine that many ambitious people turn down those kind of opportunities. You have to strike while the iron is hot, and, while certainly mid-sized and small papers have their charm and advantages, the siren song of the metro - and certainly the NYT - has to be too much for 99.9 percent of people to turn down.
  9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Hey, to be clear: I certainly didn't turn it down. :) It's just an alternative reality some might want, depending on what else is going on in their lives.

But yes, I wouldn't expect to see her there in 10 years ... or maybe even one.

Oddly, I think once people take that step and get on that track, when they get later in their careers, they might start looking in the other direction -- a nice life at a smaller paper. Full circle.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

11. Dick Whitman

I bet that's true in a lot of professions. I can remember occasionally coming across high school basketball coaches in their golden years guiding small-school programs, after years of coaching at some big-school powerhouses.
  12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Always easier to drop down later in life.
Draft saved Draft deleted