1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Cy Young Awards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Sep 29, 2011.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Verlander and Kershaw

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm a proponent of advanced stats, but I think to not give the N.L. Cy Young Award to Kershaw would be seriously overthinking it.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Like I said, I think the three are close enough to be configured in any way, but Kershaw's pretty ERA has been a moderate beneficiary of the "earned/unearned" run silliness.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How so?

Halladay's RA: 2.50
    Kershaw's RA: 2.55

Seems pretty close, no?

5. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Considering how much more hitter friendly Citizen Bank Park is, I don't think it's outrageous at all to put Halladay or Lee ahead of Kershaw. Personally my pick is Kershaw, but it's amazing just how close all 3 of them are stats wise this year.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Yes it is close, but you reward the Triple Crown. You can get into all the advanced stats you want but Kershaw has done something historic this season in my eyes.

As far as Verlander getting MVP too, absolutely not. It's not that it should never happen but when a hitter has a truly great season, a pitcher should never steal it. Adrian Gonzalez, Jose Bautista and Miguel Cabrera all have MVP quality seasons.

Cabrera kind of snuck in but my vote would go to him. Detroit's great second half is as much about him as Verlander. Won the batting title, had 100 RBI-100 run season, 100+ walks, 30 home runs, league leading 48 doubles, OPS over 1.000.

Draft saved Draft deleted