1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 college baseball - Road to Omaha

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, May 19, 2011.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Teams had better get their licks in on LSU while they can. They're going to be really, really good the next two years. And yes, they are in the NCAA field.

I think Ole Miss, on the other hand, is going to end up on the wrong side of the bubble. Georgia beating Florida today didn't help them, and if Houston beats Rice in the CUSA championship, which could easily happen, the Rebs are done.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

There is some harsh truth in what BrianGriffin says, and there is some flip-side truth in what the next two posters say.

Here is a stat that would have been unfathomable at any other point in the past quarter of a century: In its past 27 SEC road games, dating to early 2010, LSU is 5-22. That's stunningly bad.

During that time, a lot of "worst since" and "worst ever" happened. LSU will be back, and it's a true a lot of losses were in close games, but in several notable ways it's been an ugly couple of years, by LSU standards, since the national championship. Eighth in the SEC in the regular season in 2010. Tied for ninth in 2011.

If the Tigers do get left out of the field this year, they have nobody to blame but themselves, just like they had nobody but themselves to blame for having to go to Los Angeles last year for a regional.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Creighton takes the long route to the Missouri Valley Conference tournament championship, winning via the loser's bracket. Everyone in the MVC outside of Wichita cheers that the Shockers go down.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The grumbling has begun a bit, no doubt about it. But it's not the same kind of grumbling, say, Trent Johnson's hearing in basketball, which sounds more like wolves howling than fans grumbing.

But let me make myself clear: I'm saying this is a down stretch by LSU standards. I'm not saying Paul Mainieri is in any danger of losing his job. Important distinction. Now, if he struggles again next year ...

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

UCLA's Trevor Bauer blanks ASU at Tempe. Oregon State loses again to Oregon. Bruins are in first place, Beavers one game back, Sun Devils two games back.
    Bauer has nine complete games this season, including eight in a row.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Kid is amazing. Watching him was one of many enjoyable moments of the trip to the Los Angeles Regional last year.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Batman is right. It's tough for any specific program to dominate college baseball.
    The game does not allow it, unless you can line up, say, five starters like the Phillies have.
    And they've even lost 19 games already this year.
    LSU needs to keep being sent out of the South while they aren't dominant.
    The program will have its high days again soon, I suspect.

8. Johnny Dangerously

I agree with that.

Just saying there is a difference between 5-22 on the road in the SEC and merely not being dominant.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Road wins should be the highest-rated factor in the RPI. I think they are also the best indicator of a team's ability. ASU, for example, often doesn't even leave Tempe/Phoenix until it's first league road trip.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Vanderbilt rocking some patriotic Memorial Day unis for today's SEC tourney finale as they head to the 7th inning stretch.
    Florida up 2-0

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When are the regional sites supposed to be announced? I know it's today, but not sure when.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

<< Baseball News
    Title:
    2011 regional hosts announced
    Video Subheadline: Sixteen regional sites for the 2011 Championship released
    Video Headline:
    NCAA Release
    Updated date:
    Last Updated - May 29, 2011 3:30 GMT
    E-mail: Contact | Archive | RSS

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA Division I Baseball Committee announced the 16 regional sites for the 65th annual NCAA Division I Baseball Championship.

The 16 regional sites, with host institutions and records (through May 28) are as follows:
    2011 Regional Hosts City Host Record
    *Teams that are playing Sunday, May 29.
    Atlanta, Ga. Georgia Tech 40-19
    Austin, Texas Texas 43-15
    Fullerton, Calif. *Cal State Fullerton 39-15
    Chapel Hill, N.C. North Carolina 45-14
    Charlottesville, Va. *Virginia 48-9
    Clemson, S.C. Clemson 41-18
    College Station, Texas *Texas A&M 41-18
    Columbia, S.C. South Carolina 45-14
    Corvallis, Ore. *Oregon State 38-16
    Fort Worth, Texas TCU 42-17
    Gainesville, Fla. *Florida 44-16
    Houston, Texas Rice 41-19
    Los Angeles, Calif. *UCLA 33-21
    Nashville, Tenn. *Vanderbilt 47-9
    Tallahassee, Fla. *Florida State 42-16
    Tempe, Ariz. *Arizona State 38-16

By virtue of being awarded a regional, all 16 host institutions have also been selected to the 64-team field.

Draft saved Draft deleted