1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 college baseball - Road to Omaha

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, May 19, 2011.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Last weekend on regular season.
    LSU leading at Mississippi State 17-1 in 7th, with 10 SEC teams still alive for 8 berths at conference tourney.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, technically, it's six teams still alive for four spots. Vandy, Florida, South Carolina and Georgia have all clinched (although Georgia could finish anywhere from fourth to eighth, depending how they do against Vandy this weekend, and the other three are fighting for first through third place).
    An impressive showing for LSU there, too, which needs to sweep to have any sort of chance. LSU's RPI is surprisingly high, though (mid-20s), so it might get an NCAA berth even if it doesn't make the SEC tournament.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My road to Omaha starts next week ... at the MVC Tournament.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Conference USA standings showed one game separating Southern Miss and Rice at the top before tonight's 4-0 win by the Owls.
    All square in the league title chase, with 2 games left to play at Hattiesburg.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If Rice wins tomorrow, though, they'd win the title, right? Based on the head-to-head tiebreaker?
    Lots of C-USA officials rooting for the Owls, I'll bet. The C-USA tournament is in Pearl. If USM finishes first, they play early games Wednesday and Thursday. If they finish second, they'll play the 7 p.m. game both days and probably draw a hell of a lot more fans than a Rice-Central Florida game in the same spot.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Vandy and South Carolina both lose tonight at the top of the SEC standings. By beating the Gamecocks, Bama is now in for sure.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I couldn't have lived without this Mississippi State sports update.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I was driving home with Sirius/XM and Vandy led 4-3.
    WOW, so Vandy and SC both lost? Interesting.
    State may now need to win 2 just to make it to Hoover.

Cosmo, if you know anything about college baseball you're welcome to chime in.

9. mb

mb Active Member

South Carolina-Bama was wild. 2-1 final with 0 earned runs scored. Carolina had a guy gunned down at the plate on the play it scored its only run.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Virginia is really good but will probably get beat in the super regionals. That's what I've got. I can tell you more about the Big South rep once the tournament is contested.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Also, Ole Miss beat Arkansas and Auburn somehow lost to Tennessee.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Wu
    Shox

Draft saved Draft deleted