1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 CFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Jun 30, 2011.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

In their defense, they are ravaged with injuries

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Perhaps but that happens to teams all teams. The Esks d was simply awful. Period. And the offensive line wasn't much better--they allowed eight sacks.

Even if half the team was on the injury list, the replacements need to act like they belong

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

This is true, but in Ray's and the WRs' defence, three of their STARTING wide receivers had just been signed that week, the other had hardly seen the field, and it was a short week after spending the last two weeks on the road. Not surprised there was little chemistry or trust there which snowballed.
    The defensive and offensive lines, however, I believe most if not all of them had been there all season. So no excuses.
    The coaching/play calling also was a let down. They abandoned the run all to quickly which didn't help out the O-line at all. Also the D looked like it might be OK, they were playing hard and flying to the ball, until they gave up that long touchdown in the first quarter and they lost all momentum and just looked defeated after that. A couple bright spots, but very disappointing for the most part.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Cleo Lemon, buh bye.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/argonauts-release-cleo-lemon/article2154648/

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And as always, Down Goes Brown makes me laugh:

Down Goes Brown
    "Turn in your playbook!" "You mean the napkin with 'incomplete, incomplete, punt' scrawled on it?" RT @simmonssteve: Argos cut QB Cleo Lemon

The CFL's two best teams on Labour Day weekend were the Riders and my Ticats. One weekend doesn't make a series but Lord, I'd hate to see the two of them in the Grey Cup.

It would be some sort of punishment from God.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Any movement in ER's status? How much defensive field time is he getting?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He's on special teams right now. Kick-off and punt coverage.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Plaschke did a story on him in the LA Times that was very good. Know Calvillo pretty well. Super guy.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Great story. Here's the link

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/11/sports/la-sp-1011-plaschke-anthony-calvillo-20111011

Quality of play in the CFL this year has been less than outstanding.

Other than the Als and Winnipeg, teams have been either mediocre (Hamilton, BC,) or flat out awful (Toronto, Saskatchewan)

I figure it's another Montreal Grey Cup

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Just found out last week that one of the best high school tailbacks this area ever produced is playing for Hamilton in the CFL. Going to try to hook up a phone interview within the next week or so.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And he is......?

Draft saved Draft deleted