1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 CFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I thought the Argos went through an exhaustive search for an outdoor facility a few years ago and were supposed to be in on the soccer field but pulled out at the last minute. I believe they explored all of the CIS facilities in the area but determined none of them were suitable for a CFL franchise. Can't remember all of the details right now, but I know they went down that road.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The original idea was that the Argos would move into a new refurbished Varsity stadium at University of Toronto and like McGill Stadium where the Als play, right downtown.

There was a huge uproar from the surrounding neighbourhoods so that plan got squelched.

When they built BMO stadium for the soccer team, they didn't consider making it adaptable to a Canadian football field. The Argos didn't pull out, it was taken over by MLSE and they didn't want anybody they didn't own playing in their backyard.

There's nothing in the GTA right now that is big enough.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, and ER will be playing on special teams for the Riders in their Saturday game against the Als: kickoff and punt returns.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

OK, yeah I couldn't remember the particulars. I had thought the Argos were originally in with the FC when the BMO was in discussion. Couldn't remember why the Argos ended up not in on it. But I knew that once it was just the FC that it became a soccer only stadium by design.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I just can't bring myself to cheer for the ’Riders, but I do hope he proves the Eskimos wrong for cutting him loose. I hope this is the start of something big for Elliott. I already miss his physical play in the green and gold.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Some of the worst coaching and receiving I have ever seen in a CFL game by the Lions.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That was turrible.

"I know, let's throw deep 10 times in the first half, not complete any of them, but keep going back to the well." What was Lulay, 4-15 in the first half for 25 yards? That first half was just ugly on both sides.

I know several of you have said your big Lulay fans, and I totally understand that, I see the potential, but he's got to learn to check down off of his primary receiver every once in a while. Get a rhythm going. Not all five receivers are going deep, someone's got to be open underneath. Also still makes some questionable decisions with ball. But that's inexperience. I think he still has some learning to do before he can be called a reliable QB. But yeah, he has some guts and he has some skill, he could be a top QB down the road.

Some brutal drops by the Lions receivers too.

The defence for both teams all but disappeared in the second half. Just an ugly game. Period. Exciting finish, but ugly.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Was surprised the Eskimos cut ER. I thought he was one of their better players on defence in games I saw last season. I remember one monster hit against (I think) Hamilton that had to be one of the best hits of the year.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Beef, the Lions blow them out if the receivers drop just half of what they drop. This is not on Lulay, not even close. They had 6 drops I believe in the first half alone. Without the drops he has a monster game.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Against Dave Stala of the Cats. Click on the "Watch this" link at the bottom of my post. It was in the top ten

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Saw Elliott blocking at the end of the long KO return in the first half ... the way Calvillo picked them apart, he'll be getting DB reps in no time.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wow, Edmonton has discovered a running game. About a 50/50 split in play calling in the win over Hamilton. Jerome Messam looked like a beast with 104 yards rushing.

Draft saved Draft deleted