1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011-2012 NHL Season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ona Zee is one of the all-time greats. Criminally underrated. And the Blue Jackets are shit too.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agree on all counts.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I have no idea who Ona Zee is, but I think the Jackets will surprise, particularly if Mason plays well. They are strong down the middle as they have ever been in the franchise's history, Carter gives Nash his first true No.1 C to play with, Johansen is a stud, R.J. Umberger is servicable, and Pahlsson is solid defensively. Plus they have a serviceable blue-line with Wisneiwski (at least once he gets back from suspension), Methot, Tyutin, Martinek, and Clitsome. And who knows if Russell is able to rediscover his form of a few years ago and is able to stay healthy.

I don't think they'll set the world on fire, but I think they are better than the Blue Jackets we are used to seeing. I think they sneak in. Again, this all hinges on how well Mason plays.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

Jets making playoffs would be a great story.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

As 1967 slips further into the mists of time.....

[​IMG]

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Leafs trade for David Steckel.

I guess he'll be hounded incessantly by the Toronto media about his hit on Crosby.

That's because the Toronto media won't be bothered to ask why Jake Gardiner isn't down with the Marlies.

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Apparently this move doesn't mean a deal is on the horizon, but it does provide a little more flexability to one.

The Leafs centres are a little banged up with Grabovski, Connolly and Bozak all nursing injuries, some that could potentially bug them for a lengthy period of time.

With that being said, and we're assuming Connolly is out for the first two games of the season, this may be the opening lineup up front;

Kulemin - Grabovski - Frattin
    Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
    Lombardi - Dupuis - Armstrong
    Brown - Steckel - Orr/Rosie

With the lineup looking like this once Connolly and Macarthur return;

Kulemin - Grabovski - MacAurthur
    Lupul - Connolly - Kessel
    Lombardi - Bozak - Armstrong
    Brown - Dupuis/Steckel - Orr/Rosie

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
    Liles - Schenn
    Gardiner - Komisarek / Franson

Something has got to give if Burke wants to put Frattin and/or in the line up along with Franson.

A move is almost certain at this point once everyone gets healthy, but thats when everyone does get healthy, so there wont be a rush to make a move.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Only in Toronto: scrum with David Steckel after Leafs practice this morning

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

That doesn't happen in Montreal?

;-)

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Vancouver is getting like this as well, it's pathetic

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I still love Steckel. Hopefully he does well in Toronto.

BTW, here's a good article on why Boudreau is back this season with the Caps. Just pretend I'm Moddy for a second, or something, cool?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/oct/5/caps-mcphee-explains-why-he-stuck-boudreau/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.