1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011-12 Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Re: 2011 Hot Stove Thread

Hey, Ruckus. Learn some reading comprehension.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Apologies, IJAG.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Don't apologize to me!!!!

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well forget you, IJAG and forget you too.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's more to a team's future than where they are right now.

In order of who concerns me in the Central, it's St. Louis, Houston, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh.

St. Louis has decent resources and a smart front office. Houston has excellent resources available to them and the new ownership sounds like they are looking in the right direction for new management, but I'm hoping they get moved to the AL.

Milwaukee is good right now and will probably be good in 2012, but their slim resources and the cost of backloaded contracts and players hitting arbitration years is starting to creep up on them. They've had their small-market run when the talent was cheap and they were able to time it right, but they can't last much longer.

Cincinnati has had some success in drafting and development but hasn't been able to sustain any success.

And Pittsburgh is still too cheap to threaten outside of extremely fluky first-halves such as this one.

The Cubs under average management will be a perennial playoff team. They just have too large of a financial advantage with which to bludgeon the rest of the division.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Houston is years from contending, even with adequate leadership.

It's the worst farm system in the majors by a country mile, and that doesn't get fixed overnight.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

To whom should he apologize? I am unable to comprehend your post.

BYH's post just further confuses me.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I directed a profanity at you, re: whining. Then deleted the post, but IJAG and BYH must have read it before I cancelled it. I apologize to you and all concerned.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Do you have any idea how un-PC I feel, writing a headline for a Braves-Indians trade?

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Haven't had a chance to check out the PD today. But Pluto's been saying for a while that the Indians would love to sign Sizemore to an incentive-heavy contract. Who plays alongside Brantley and Choo with Sizemore gone? I've already forgotten who played OF when Sizemore was hurt last year...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think they kicked the tires on Travis Buck for a while, no? yikes. I imagine that they just put a good D, no offense guy out there for a year or two, while they continue on their rebuild project. Their task #1 should be to figure out what the hell is wrong with Jiminez.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Indians got Fukudome at the deadline, when they were actually leading the Central (great trivia question, that). They had Ezequiel Carrera and Shelley Duncan too. So, yeah. Not much.

Draft saved Draft deleted