1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 World Series of Poker running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Jun 3, 2010.

1. I think it has a lot to do with the players. I just don't like Durr and that italian kid and the wreckless players they have on their now. I liked it when it was guys like Negranu, Farha, Esfandiari, Elegra, Brunson, etc. They were fun to watch, listen to. HSP is just not as interesting to me anymore. Negranu is my favorite player though, and if he's not there, I won't even consider watching anyway.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I write and maintain a poker blog for the Peoria (Ill.) Journal Star, spotlighting national stories and highlighting area players. Give it a look.

http://blogs.pjstar.com/ontheriver/

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Good stuff, CI. Very good stuff.

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Thanks, o_t. It's appreciated.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I thin Dwan's fun to watch play, but 'High Stakes' was better with Benza. I can't believe I'm saying anything in history was ever better with A.J. Benza, but it's true.
    Obviously, Kaplan is the star, but using him by himself doesn't work. Much the 'Chinese Restaurant' episode of 'Seinfeld,' when Elaine suggests that Jerry could go see 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' by himself. 'What am I gonna make sarcastic comments to myself?'
    Kaplan needs a foil. It's not banter if there's no one with whom to banter.
    It doesn't have to be Benza, but Kaplan needs a partner.

Further, this might be blasphemous to some, but Chad's schtick is tired to me. I find it difficult to watch WSOP shows because his cracks seem so tired. I've liked a lot of the guy's work. I consider myself a fan, but the broadcast commentary on poker seems played out for him.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I agree on Chad. It's all shtick with no attempt to provide any actual analysis of the poker.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Did Joran Van der Sloot qualify and if so, will he be allowed to leave jail and participate?
    I hear he's a killer card player.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm not sure what to say about that one

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Here is my problem with High Stakes poker - all of the dealmaking that goes on "let's run it twice" or "let's run it three times" or "give me insurance"

The game is about risk, it is about the gamble, it is about the excitement of the 55-45 race. All of the dealmaking assures there are no really big -- and thus not many interesting -- hands to watch.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A good point, Zag, but the real problem is that TV poker gives such a false impression of the game. Poker is all about patience. TV is all about impatience. So now you have a TV-influenced WSOP where players come in and be TV, taking huge risks on the theory it might work, but for sure, you'll get an ESPN camera.
    A real poker TV event would show guys pissing in their empty soda or beer bottles.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Thing with High Stakes Poker is that 90 percent of the players at the table are winning/losing more with the bizarre sidebets that go on.

Funniest one I can remember is a couple years ago, where if you took down a pot with 7-2; everyone gave the winner $500.

I think it was Matusow that took down Hellmuth with nines or tens or something like that.....Mouth shows the 7-2, and Hellmuth goes stupid.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That's exactly what happened, Chef2. I think Hellmuth had 10s.

I haven't watched too much of High Stakes, but I stumbled upon that episode.

Draft saved Draft deleted